It’s important that you know about my relationships with the companies I report on and fees I receive for projects, referrals and leads. I can say what I like, of course, but in the end, you’re the best judge of what’s right for you.
Cruise lines, destinations and travel agents do support River Cruise Advisor. Our model was adapted from National Public Radio, to rely on the generous support of sponsors. So here are some questions that you may have.
Do cruise companies or destinations ever pay us to write specific articles? We wish! Cruise companies, however, do support the site with monthly sponsorship fees.
Do they ever dictate to us what to write? Never. However, cruise companies may submit article ideas that we will publish should we deem them to be editorially worthwhile for our readers.
Do they ever ask us to remove stories that they may not like from our web site? No.
Do we filter negative comments from readers? No. We do moderate comments in that we have to approve them before they are posted. This is to keep out spammers. On the contrary, we encourage opposing views or any information that will help inform others.
Also, we cruise for free. Does that bias us? Hard to say. What is certain is that we can only write authoritatively about ships that we’ve experienced. Moreover, almost all staff at all cruise web sites, including international publications, travel for free or at press rates that are a mere token. We’re also invited on press trips and inaugurals, all expenses paid. Otherwise, we couldn’t afford to cover the river cruise industry adequately. Can you trust our reporting? That’s something only you can judge.
Am I a travel agent? No. But I do make recommendations to those who ask for them, and I may receive commissions from travel agents or travel suppliers for referrals and leads.
Feel free to join the discussion by leaving comments.
Thank you for dropping by. We hope to see you here more often.
Best regards, Ralph Grizzle
Editor, River Cruise Advisor
Effective: April 25, 2017
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SITE.
- Description of Services. Avid Travel Media makes various services available on this Site including, but not limited to, informational content and certain other amenities (collectively, the “Services”). The content provided by Avid Travel Media is free. Fees for cruises with Avid Travel Media are set out elsewhere in this Site.
You understand and agree that temporary interruptions of the Services available through this Site may occur as normal events. You further understand and agree that we have has no control over third party networks you may access in the course of the use of this Site, and therefore, delays and disruption of other network transmissions are completely beyond our control.
- Disclaimer of Warranties.
ALL MATERIALS AND SERVICES ON THIS SITE ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR THE WARRANTY OF NONINFRINGEMENT. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT: (A) THE SERVICES AND MATERIALS WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (B) THE SERVICES AND MATERIALS WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, (C) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE SERVICES OR MATERIALS WILL BE EFFECTIVE, ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, OR (D) THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, OR INFORMATION PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE SITE FROM US OR OUR AFFILIATES WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS OR BE FREE FROM MISTAKES, ERRORS OR DEFECTS.
THIS SITE COULD INCLUDE TECHNICAL OR OTHER MISTAKES, INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS. WE MAY MAKE CHANGES TO THE MATERIALS AND SERVICES AT THIS SITE, INCLUDING THE PRICES AND DESCRIPTIONS OF ANY PRODUCTS LISTED HEREIN, AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE. THE MATERIALS OR SERVICES AT THIS SITE MAY BE OUT OF DATE, AND WE MAKE NO COMMITMENT TO UPDATE SUCH MATERIALS OR SERVICES.
THE USE OF THE SERVICES OR THE DOWNLOADING OR OTHER ACQUISITION OF ANY MATERIALS THROUGH THIS SITE IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND WITH YOUR AGREEMENT THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM SUCH ACTIVITIES.
Through your use of the Site, you may have the opportunities to engage in commercial transactions with third party travel agents and cruise lines. You acknowledge that all transactions relating to any merchandise or services offered by any party, including, but not limited to the purchase terms, payment terms, warranties, guarantees, maintenance and delivery terms relating to such transactions, are agreed to solely between the seller or purchaser of such merchandise and services and you. WE MAKE NO WARRANTY REGARDING ANY TRANSACTIONS EXECUTED THROUGH, OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS SITE, AND YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT SUCH TRANSACTIONS ARE CONDUCTED ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. ANY WARRANTY THAT IS PROVIDED IN CONNECTION WITH ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, MATERIALS, OR INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THIS SITE FROM A THIRD PARTY IS PROVIDED SOLELY BY SUCH THIRD PARTY, AND NOT BY US OR ANY OTHER OF OUR AFFILIATES.
To the extent that there are links to third party websites or comments from third parties on this Site, the third parties are not connected with Avid Travel Media. Avid Travel Media does not endorse, nor are we responsible for the accuracy or reliability of, any opinion, advice, or statement made by anyone other than an authorized spokesperson of Avid Travel Media speaking in his/her official capacity.
SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
IN NO EVENT SHALL WE OR OUR AFFILIATES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THOSE RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER OR NOT WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THIS SITE OR OF ANY WEB SITE REFERENCED OR LINKED TO FROM THIS SITE.
FURTHER, WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY FOR THIRD PARTY GOODS AND SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH THIS SITE OR FOR ASSISTANCE IN CONDUCTING COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS THROUGH THIS SITE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE PROCESSING OF ORDERS.
SOME JURISDICTIONS PROHIBIT THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Upon a request by us, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold us and our affiliates harmless from all liabilities, claims, and expenses, including attorney’s fees, that arise from your use or misuse of this Site. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will cooperate with us in asserting any available defenses.
- Registration and Data Privacy. In order to access some of the Services on this Site, you will be required to register with Disqus or use a separate social media account. We do not receive the information that you provide to Disqus or to other social media platforms, but we do receive information that you provide to us to receive further information from us directly via electronic mail. By providing this information to us, you agree that all information is true and accurate and that you will maintain and update this information as required in order to keep it current, complete and accurate.
We do not disclose information provided directly to us to third parties (except as needed to process payment or if you direct us to do so).
- Payment of Fees. If you subscribe to a service on this Site that requires payment of a fee, you agree to pay all fees associated with such service in advance of receiving such service. You agree to provide us with accurate and complete billing information, including credit card information, your name, address and phone number, and to provide us with any changes in such information within 30 days of the change.
If, for any reason, your payment fails to process or is returned for lack of sufficient funds, we may, at our option, suspend or terminate the Services.
In the event legal action is necessary to collect on balances due, you agree to reimburse us for all expenses incurred to recover sums due, including attorney fees and other legal expenses.
- No Unlawful or Prohibited Use. Your use of the Site is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and you are solely responsible for the Contents of your communications through the Site. By posting information in or otherwise using any communications service, chat room, message board, newsgroup, or other interactive service that may be available to you on or through this Site, you agree that you will not upload, share, post, or otherwise distribute or facilitate distribution of any Content — including text, communications, software, images, sounds, data, or other information — that:
- Is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, invasive of another’s privacy, tortious, contains explicit or graphic descriptions or accounts of sexual acts (including but not limited to sexual language of a violent or threatening nature directed at another individual or group of individuals), or otherwise violates our rules or policies;
- Victimizes, harasses, degrades, or intimidates an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, or disability;
- Infringes on any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity, or other proprietary right of any party;
- Constitutes unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, junk or bulk e-mail (also known as “spamming”), chain letters, any other form of unauthorized solicitation, or any form of lottery or gambling;
- Contains software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, or limit the functioning of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any data or other information of any third party; or
- Impersonates any person or entity, including any of our employees or representatives.
You may not use the Site or the Services to: download any file(s) that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally reproduced, displayed, performed, and/or distributed in such manner; violate any code of conduct of other guidelines which may be applicable for any particular Service; harvest or otherwise collect information about others, including email addresses, without the authorization or consent of the disclosing party; violate any applicable laws or regulations; or create a false identity for the purpose of misleading others.
You may not use the Services in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair any server of Avid Travel Media, or the network(s) connected to any server of Avid Travel Media, or interfere with any other party’s use and enjoyment of any Services. In addition, you may not use your account to gain access to any Materials or information through any means not intentionally made available through the Services, breach security of another account, or attempt to gain unauthorized access to another network or server. Not all areas of the Site may be available to you or other authorized users of the Site. Users who violate systems or network security may incur criminal or civil liability.
You acknowledge that we will cooperate fully with investigations of violations of systems or network security at other sites, including cooperating with law enforcement authorities in investigating suspected criminal violations. You agree to reasonably cooperate with Avid Travel Media and law enforcement authorities in investigating suspected violations.
- Third Party Sites and Information. This Site may link you to other sites on the Internet or otherwise include references to information, documents, software, Materials and/or services provided by other parties. These sites may contain information or Material that some people may find inappropriate or offensive. These other sites and parties are not under our control, and you acknowledge that we are not responsible for the accuracy, copyright compliance, legality, decency, or any other aspect of the Content of such sites, nor are we responsible for errors or omissions in any references to other parties or their products and services. The inclusion of such a link or reference is provided merely as a convenience and does not imply endorsement of, or association with, the Site or party by us, or any warranty of any kind, either express or implied.
- Intellectual Property Information.
Copyright © 2017 Avid Travel Media Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Please do not submit confidential or proprietary information to us unless we have mutually agreed in writing otherwise. We are also unable to accept your unsolicited ideas or proposals, so please do not submit them to us in any circumstance.
We respect the intellectual property of others, and we ask you to do the same. If you or any user of this Site believes its copyright, trademark or other property rights have been infringed by a posting on this Site, you or the user should send notification to our Designated Agent (as identified below) immediately. To be effective, the notification must include:
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact the complaining party, such as address, telephone number and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted;
- Identification of the Material that is claimed to be infringing or to be subject to infringing activity and that is to be removed and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the Materials;
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the Material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringing.
Pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C.A. Sec. 512(c), our Designated Agent for Notice of claims of copyright infringement can be reached as indicated below. Service of repeat infringers of copyright or of users about whom repeat claims of copyright infringement are received will be terminated.
Designated Agent for Claimed Infringement:
P.O. Box 2807, Asheville, NC 28802
PHONE: (828) 582-8354
You acknowledge and agree that upon receipt of a notice of a claim of copyright infringement, we may immediately remove the identified Materials from our site without liability to you or any other party and that the claims of the complaining party and the party that originally posted the Materials will be referred to the United States Copyright Office for adjudication as provided in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- Use of Site and Storage of Material. You acknowledge that we may establish general practices and limits concerning use of the Services available on our site, including without limitation the maximum number of days that uploaded Content will be retained on the Site, the maximum disk space that will be allotted or our servers on your behalf, and the maximum number of times (and the maximum duration for which) you may access the Services in a given period of time. You agree that we have no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store any Content maintained or transmitted on or through this Site. You further acknowledge that we reserve the right to change these general practices and limits at any time, in our sole discretion, with or without notice.
You should not rely on the Site as your only storage facility. You should preserve backup copies of any digital data, information or other Materials that you have uploaded. You agree not to hold us for any damage to, any deletion of or any failure to store your files, data or Registration Data.
- Non-Disparagement. You shall, during and after the participation in and use of the Services, refrain from making any statements or comments of a defamatory or disparaging nature to any third party regarding Avid Travel Media, or any of Avid Travel Media’s officers, directors, employees, personnel, agents, policies, services or products, other than to comply with law.
- Governing Law. This Site (excluding any linked sites) is controlled by us from our offices within the State of North Carolina, United States of America. It can be accessed from all 50 states, as well as from other countries around the world. As each of these places has laws that may differ from those of North Carolina, by accessing this Site both of us agree that the statutes and laws of the State of North Carolina, without regard to the conflicts of laws principles thereof and the United Nations Convention on the International Sales of Goods, will apply to all matters relating to the use of this Site and the purchase of products and Services available through this Site. Each of us agrees and hereby submits to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of the Superior Court of Buncombe County and the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina with respect to such matters.
- Notices. All notices to a party shall be in writing and shall be made either via e-mail or conventional mail. Notices to us must be sent to the attention of Ralph Grizzle at [firstname.lastname@example.org], if by e-mail, or P.O. Box 2807, Asheville, NC 28802, if by conventional mail. Notices to you may be sent either to the e-mail address supplied by you to access certain Services. In addition, we may broadcast notices or messages through the Site to inform you of changes to the Site or other matters of importance, and such broadcasts shall constitute notice to you.
- International Use. Although this Site may be accessible worldwide, we make no representation that Materials on this Site are appropriate or available for use in locations outside the United States, and accessing them from territories where their Contents are illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this Site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws. Any offer for any product, service, and/or information made in connection with this Site is void where prohibited.
- You acknowledge and agree that during your participation in and use of the Services you may be exposed to Confidential Information. “Confidential Information” shall mean all information, in whole or in part, that is disclosed by Avid Travel Media or any participant or user of the Services or any employee, affiliate, or agent thereof that is nonpublic, confidential, or proprietary in nature. Confidential Information also includes, without limitation, information about business, sales, operations, knowhow, trade secrets, technology, products, employees, customers, marketing plans, financial information, services, business affairs, any knowledge gained through examination or observation of or access to the facilities, computer systems and/or books and records of Avid Travel Media, any analyses, compilations, studies or other documents prepared by Avid Travel Media or otherwise derived in any manner from the Confidential Information and any information that you are obligated to keep confidential or know or has reason to know should be treated as confidential. Confidential information does not include information already in the public domain, anything voluntarily disclosed by the disclosing party, anything independently developed by you or information disclosed in compliance with a lawfully issued process compelling disclosure.
- Your participation in and/or use of the Services obligates you to: (i) Maintain all Confidential Information in strict confidence; (ii) not to disclose Confidential Information to any third parties; (iii) not to use the Confidential Information in any way directly or indirectly detrimental to Avid Travel Media or any participant or user of the Services.
Effective May 25, 2018 Updated for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Who we are
River Cruise Advisor is owned by Avid Travel Media Inc., incorporated in North Carolina, USA.
How To Contact Us
We can be reached via this contact form on the River Cruise Advisor website.
PO Box 2807
Asheville, North Carolina 28802 USA
River Cruise Advisor’s website address is: https://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com.
Normal Website Usage
The information gathered during general browsing of our Site is used to analyze trends and usage of the Site and to improve the usefulness of the Site. It is not connected with any personal information.
In general, you can browse Avid Travel Media Inc.’s (“Avid Travel Media,” “We,” or “Us”) website, River Cruise Advisor [www.rivercruiseadvisor.com], website (the “Site”), without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. The only information we gather during general browsing is via Google Analytics and would include information like your IP (Internet Protocol) address, domain name, browser type, operating system, and information such as the web site that referred you to us, the files you downloaded, the pages you visit, and the dates/times of those visits.
Avid Travel Media may retain correspondence and the information contained therein (e.g. name, mailing address, phone number) and use such information to respond to your inquiry and/or provide you with our newsletter. Your name, e-mail address, and postal address information is never sold, given, or otherwise shared or disclosed to third parties unless you expressly authorize us to do so (e.g. if you requested a travel agent recommendation and expressly authorized us to pass your information onto the agent, we would send the information to the agent).
If you do not wish to receive notifications or correspondence from Avid Travel Media, you may unsubscribe from our newsletter using information provided in the newsletter itself.
If you directly correspond with Avid Travel Media but wish to terminate your communication with us, please advise Avid Travel Media of this fact in direct response to the e-mail correspondence.
If you correspond with Avid Travel Media via e-mail, the postal service, or other form of communication, you may reveal personal information about yourself to Avid Travel Media (e.g. name, e-mail, and postal address information).
If you correspond directly with Avid Travel Media to make a purchase, you will be asked to submit payment card information to a third-party payment processor, Quickbooks or Gumroad.
Consent to Collect
We collect data from users that have subscribed to our newsletter, left comments or filled out forms. We ask for consent during the process with a checkbox. A link to this page is provided during the process. The legal basis for us to collect the data is to be able to provide you with a service.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
The comment section of the Site provides a forum for users to comment on content provided through the Site and to discuss what they are seeking or value in a cruise. To participate, you are asked to provide information through third party sites (e.g. Disqus, Facebook, Google Plus, or Instagram). The information that you share with these third-party sites is not shared with Avid Travel Media. However, information that you post on Avid Travel Media’s comments page will be available to Avid Travel Media and to other users. As such, you should take care in what you share in the comments section.
You may delete comments posted on the Site or ask us to delete comments at any time pursuant to the terms of Disqus or another third-party social media platform.
When visitors fill out forms on the site we collect the data shown in the form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
Providing personal information on the Site is optional. If you choose not to provide personal information, you can still browse and use Avid Travel Media’s Site, but you will not be able to correspond with Avid Travel Media or access other features of the Site that require personal information to be provided.
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
- You can request a copy of your data which we will provide within 30 days;
- You can request your data to be anonymized which we will do within 30 days;
- While we will do everything we can to keep our service secure, in the event of a data breach or misuse, we will inform our users of what happened and what we have done to put it right within 30 days.
Services and Third Parties Where We Store Data
Avid Travel Media Inc. relies on third party services to maintain its own services. Avid Travel Media Inc. never shares or resell any of its data.
- Amazon S3 (encrypted backups);
- Sendgrid (email distribution)
- Gumroad (ebook sales)
- Sparkpost (email distribution)
- Google Analytics
- Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
How we protect your data
With the exception of user comments (which are controlled and posted by you), Avid Travel Media does not sell or share any personally identifiable information volunteered on the Site to any third party without prior consent.
However, Avid Travel Media assumes no responsibility for the security of information.
As set forth previously, Avid Travel Media’s Site contains link to sites external to the rivercruiseadvisor.com domain. Avid Travel Media is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such sites.
Children Under 13
The Site is not directed to children under 13 years of age, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, Avid Travel Media will delete such information from our files.
Age of Consent
Moreover, by using this site, you represent that you are at least 18 years of age, or that you are at least 18 years of age and have given us your consent to allow any of your minor dependents to use this Site. If you are under the age of 18, do not use this Site without parental consent.
Changes to This Privacy Notice
Avid Travel Media reserves the right to modify this Privacy Notice at any time, so please review it frequently. Changes and clarifications will take effect immediately upon their posting on this Site. If we make material changes to this Notice, we will notify you on this Site that it has been updated, so that you are aware of what information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we use and/or disclose it.
If Avid Travel Media is acquired or merged with another company, your information may be transferred to the new owners so that they may continue to sell products to you.
The Site is administered by Avid Travel Media from its offices in North Carolina. These Terms will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of North Carolina, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of laws. Any matter and/or dispute relating in any way to your visit to or interaction with the Site or with this Privacy Notice, including compliance with these Terms, shall be filed in the state courts of Buncombe County, North Carolina or in the Western District of North Carolina. You consent to exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue in such courts and waive any objection based on inconvenient forum.
Questions and Contact Information
If you would like to access, correct, amend, or delete any personal information that we have about you; register a complaint; or simply want more information, please contact us at email@example.com or by mail at P.O. Box 2807, Asheville, NC 28802.