River Cruise Companies & Vessels
Please see our updated comparison here.
When you’re planning a river cruise in Europe, you have a fair amount of choices. To better understand what those choices are, review our list of the major river cruise companies that we regularly cover and recommend.
- Number of ships in fleet: 23.
- Charters: AmaWaterways offers multiple Charters and Part Charters yearly
- Newest ships: AmaMora, AmaMagna, and AmaDouro debuting in 2019
- Oldest ship: 144-passenger AmaCello and AmaDante, launched in 2008
- For more info, see AmaWaterways
- Number of ships in fleet: 11
- 2012 Charters: Two in Egypt; two in China; one in Vietnam & Cambodia, and one in the Galapagos.
- Newest ship: 166-passenger Avalon Panorama, May 2011.
- Oldest ship: 168-passenger Avalon Tapestry, 2006
- For more info, see Avalon Waterways
- Number of ships in fleet: 4
- Charters: One vessel in Egypt; one in China
- Newest ship: 118-passenger ms Treasures, 2011
- Oldest ship: 116-passenger Swiss Emerald, 2006
- For more info, see Tauck
- Number of ships in fleet: 12
- 2012 Charters: Three in China; one in Egypt
- Newest ship: 164-passenger S.S. Antoinette, launched in 2011.
- Oldest ship: 128-passenger River Ambassador, launched 1993, refurbished 2011.
- For more info, see Uniworld River Cruises
- Number of ships in fleet: 23
- New for 2012, the Viking Longships: Viking Freya, Viking Idun, Viking Njord, and Viking Odin
- 2012 Charters: Two vessels in Egypt, one in China
- Newest ship: 188-passenger Viking Prestige, July 2011
- Oldest ship: 210-passenger Viking Surkov, 1984 (refurbished 2011)
- For more info, see Viking River Cruises
All River Cruise Companies