Located in southwestern Germany, the town of Wertheim-am-Main is located along the banks of the Main (pronounced mine) River, where it meets the River Tauber. With a population of just over 24,000 inhabitants, Wertheim is a picturesque, medieval German city that is perfectly suited to arriving river cruise passengers.
First mentioned in 779, Wertheim underwent several name changes throughout the intervening centuries before officially receiving township status in 1976.
Your River Cruise Ship Docks…
Coming ashore in Wertheim is no problem at all; your river cruise ship docks right within easy walking distance of Wertheim’s historic medieval town centre.
When in Wertheim…
Some fantastic ways to enjoy yourself in this beautiful German town:
- Walk. Like many other river cruise ports of call, a stroll around the town and beautiful countryside is not only convenient but practical, and can be an excellent way to fully enjoy your time here.
- Burg Wurheim. Also known as Wurheim Castle, this historic medieval building is one of the town’s most instantly-recognizable landmarks. Definitely worth a photo-stop.
River Cruisers Should Know!
- The currency in Germany is the Euro (€).
- Crime of any sort is generally not an issue in Wertheim; still, it pays to exercise the same degree of caution you would in any city or town.
- Knowledge of basic German can go a long way. While most people should speak at least some English, this may not always be the case in smaller towns like Wertheim-am-Main.