What’s the cost of cruising on the Rhine River? In this post, we look at Rhine River Cruise Prices by comparing 2018 rates from the major river cruise operators.
Together with the Danube, a river cruise along the Rhine River is one of the quintessential experiences in Europe. Lined with castles, quaint towns and big cities like Strasbourg, Cologne and Amsterdam, the Rhine offers plenty of culinary, historic, and photographic opportunities on river cruises that can last as little as a week, or as many as two, as ships make their way between Basel, Switzerland and the Dutch capital of Amsterdam.
A few things we appreciate most about Rhine River cruises:
- A Foodie’s Paradise: From Rudesheim‘s namesake coffee to traditional Kolsch beer in Cologne, the Rhine is filled with cultural delights that will keep river cruisers coming back for more.
- Castles: The banks of the Rhine are lined with them. Many can still be visited on shore excursions offered by the cruise lines. The castles provide dramatic views across the river and surrounding countryside.
- Kinderdijk. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is the picture-perfect postcard view of the Netherlands, with 19 mills from the 18th century and three pumping stations.
- Amsterdam. We can’t get enough of this canal-lined Dutch city, which is where many Rhine river cruises either start or end. Be sure to plan a few extra days here pre-or-post cruise to enjoy all that Amsterdam has to offer, from the moving Anne Frank House to the striking Rijksmuseum.
- The Perfect Mix of Ports and Scenic Cruising. Rhine river cruises seem to be well-balanced, with a great mix of scenic cruising time and ports of call. It tends to be less rushed and hurried than the Danube, thanks to the relatively small number of locks.
Like the Danube, all the major river cruise lines operate voyages on the Rhine. These run from the immersive yet price-conscious offerings from CroisiEurope to the all-out, no-holds-barred luxury of Crystal River Cruises. But take note: When you throw in applicable special offers, Viking River Cruises voyages come out to be quite the deal, too.
Rhine River Cruise Prices
|AmaStella||Avalon Imagery II||MS Douce France||Crystal Debussy||Emerald Sun||ms Oscar Wilde||Scenic Opal||ms Inspire||S.S. Antoinette||Viking Ingvi|
|June 11, 2018||June 9, 2018||July 6, 2018||June 13, 2018||June 16, 2018||June 21, 2018||July 18, 2018||June 25, 2018||June 10, 2018||June 12, 2018|
# of days
|Category BB||Category B||Standard Cabin||Petite Suite with Panoramic Balcony Window||Vista Deck Balcony A||Ruby Deck Suite (Middle)||Sapphire Deck Balcony BB||Category 3||Category 3||Veranda B|
|Twin: French & Step Out||French||None||French||French||French||Step out||None; Loft-style stateroom||French||Step out|
Per diem/Per Person/Double Occupancy
|$168 ($21 per day)||$168 ($21 per day)||Included||$175 ($25 per day)||Included||Included||Included||Included||Included||Included|
Gratuities (on ship - non-compulsory)
|$136 ($17 per day)||$119 ($14.88 per day)||$90 ($11.25 per day)||Included||Included||$46 (€5 per day, approximately $5.80 USD)||Included||Included||Included||$127 ($15.87 per day)|
Gratuities (on shore - non-compulsory)
|$20 ($2.50 per day)||Included||$20 ($2.50 per day)||$20 ($2.50 per day)||Included||$20 ($2.50 per day)||Included||Included||Included||$20 ($2.50 per day|
|$80 ($10 per day)||$80 ($10 per day)||Included||Included||$80 ($10 per day)||$209 ($26 per day)^^||Included||Included||Included||$80 ($10 per day)|
|$24 ($3 per day)||$24 ($3 per day)||n/a||Included***||$24 ($3 per day); included for suites.||$24 ($3 per day)||Included*||$24 ($3 per day)||Included*||$24 ($3 per day)|
Optional Shore Excursions
|all excursions included||all excursions included||all excursions included||$300 ($43 per day)||$100 ($12.50 per day)*||$100 ($12.50 per day)*||all excursions included||all excursions included||all excursions included||$100 ($12.50 per day)*|
Incentive (may have expired depending on end date of promotion)
Our Estimated Value of Incentive
|$0||$250||$0||$0||$1100 ($137 per day)||n/a||$1,500 ($187 per day)||$0||n/a||$1,200 ($150 per day)|
True Per Diem
* Emerald Waterways and Viking River Cruises include at least one shore excursion in each port of call, with optional excursions for a fee.
** To calculate the value of included roundtrip economy air, I used Viking's $1,595 per person published rate from select gateways in North America.
*** Crystal River Cruises includes complimentary self-service laundry machines on all its river ships; pay-per-use service is can be arranged through suite butlers.
† Save up to $299 on air to Europe. Source: Avalon
**** Fly to Europe for $495 per person. Source: Emerald Waterways
***** Shoulder season sailings (March, April, October & November) receive up to fly free air to Europe. All other sailings receive air as low as $595 per person. Premium Economy is available for $1,395 per person. Book & pay in full by October 31, 2017 and receive up to an additional $500 savings per person. Source: Scenic
****** Economy air from $395 per person
^^Riviera offers beverage packages starting at $129 per person for most weeklong voyages that adds beer, wine and soft drinks with lunch and dinner. Beverages purchased outside of mealtimes are still billed separately, so we've added $80 ($10 per day) to our valuation for beverages to bring it alongside with lines like AmaWaterways and Viking, which offer complimentary beer, wine and soft drinks with lunch and dinner. For non-drinkers, however, this total can be subtracted from the True Per Diem amount.