VIKING HELGI Ship Review
Originally constructed as part of the mammoth, 27-ship “302”-series, Viking Helgi was known as Viking Surkov until late 2011. Along with her sisters Viking Ingvar and Viking Truvor, she carries 210 fortunate guests along Russia’s historic Volga River. Built in 1984, Viking Helgi was fully refurbished in 2008, offering European-style amenities in all 104 staterooms. These range from comfortable, hotel-style beds to 26-inch flat-panel televisions. Thee open-air promenade decks allow for expansive views of the legendary Volga River.
VIKING HELGI Staterooms
There are eight distinct stateroom categories aboard Viking Helgi:
- Category CS staterooms were designed specifically for the solo traveler. At 70 square feet, these rooms feature a single Pullman-style bed along with a picture window that opens. These two staterooms are located on Upper Deck and have a bathroom with shower, air conditioning, a small wardrobe, and a television featuring English-language programming.
- Category EX and FX staterooms are located all the way forward on Main deck, and include hotel-style beds that can be separated if needed, along with two fixed porthole windows. These rooms also feature a bathroom with shower, a desk and vanity area, a small sitting area, a television with English-language programming, and full air conditioning. Category FX staterooms measure 173 square feet, while Category EX rooms are slightly larger at 207 square feet.
- Category AX, BX, CX, and DX staterooms are located on Upper, Middle, and Main decks. All feature hotel-style beds that can be separated if needed, along with a large picture window that opens. These rooms also feature a bathroom with shower, a desk and vanity area, a small sitting area, a television with English-language programming, and full air conditioning. Categories AX, BX and CX all measure 158 square feet, while Category DX staterooms are slightly smaller at 140 square feet.
- Category AA Suites are the top level of accommodation aboard Viking Helgi. Located on Middle Deck, these forward-facing staterooms are a spacious 320-square feet and include several large picture windows that open. A full-size bathroom with separate shower, tub, and dual-vanity sinks compliments these suites, which also include a sitting area, large wardrobe, full air conditioning, a television with English-language programming, and a sofa.
VIKING HELGI Public Areas
In addition to her three expansive open promenade decks, Viking Helgi features a reception area, restaurant, and observation lounge. The Reception area also hosts a 24-hour coffee and tea station, while the Restaurant serves up breakfast, lunch and dinner in a casually elegant setting where the seating is always open. This allows guests to dine with whomever they choose at a variety of table sizes.
Located on Upper Deck, the forward-facing Observation Lounge makes the perfect venue to enjoy a cold drink and conversation with newfound friends without ever having to take your eyes off the beautiful Volga.
A Library and onboard Boutique are also offered, along with laundry service, two dedicated bars and an onboard elevator – a rarity among many river cruise vessels.
River Cruisers Should Know!
- Complimentary Internet Access is provided in guest staterooms.
- Category AX Staterooms 422 and 423 have structural columns in the room.
- Category EX Staterooms 227 and 228 measure 215 square feet; EX staterooms 229 and 230 are 207 square feet.
- Although designed for the solo traveler, Category CS staterooms can still feel a little cramped due to their small size of 70 square feet.