VIKING PRIMADONNA Ship Review
The first thing you’re likely to notice about the 1998-built Viking Primadonna is that she’s a little different than her fleetmates. Designed with a catamaran hull, Viking Primadonna is sure to turn heads along the waterways of Europe with her distinctive styling and oversize windows. Carrying 148 guests, she sails Viking’s Danube Waltz, Passage to Europe, Grand European Odyssey, and Eastern European Waltz itineraries.
VIKING PRIMADONNA Staterooms
There are five stateroom categories aboard Viking Primadonna:
- Category CS staterooms are designed specifically for the solo traveler. At 86 square feet, they feature a large porthole-style window (cannot open) along with a single Pullman bed, a small desk with TV featuring English-language programming, a wardrobe, and a bathroom with shower. Like all rooms aboard Viking Primadonna, Category CS staterooms are fully air conditioned and are located on Main Deck.
- Category C and D staterooms are larger at 129 square feet, and are located on Main Deck. These staterooms have two single-style sofa beds along with a round porthole-style window which cannot open. These rooms also come with a small writing desk, a TV featuring English-language programming, a bathroom with shower, a wardrobe, and full air conditioning.
- Category A and B staterooms are located on Upper and Middle decks, and are the largest accommodation available aboard Viking Primadonna at 172 square feet. They feature hotel-style beds that can be placed in double or single configuration, as well as floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open to a private balcony. A full-size desk, wardrobe, TV with English-language programming, air conditioning, and a bathroom with shower compliment these rooms.
VIKING PRIMADONNA Public Areas
In keeping with Viking Primadonna’s unique exterior design, so too are her interior spaces. Guests are likely to be greeted by the two-deck high atrium that runs most of the length of the ship. Resembling a scaled-down version of the Royal Promenade aboard Royal Caribbean’s Voyager-class ships, the atrium space aboard Viking Primadonna features a skylight and ample seating, as well as a reception area and stateroom access.
Forward of the Atrium on Middle Deck is the ship’s Spa and Sauna, featuring an indoor whirlpool – a rarity among river cruise ships.
Forward still is the Lounge. This is the perfect place to grab a drink or sit and relax with new friends, and the oversize porthole-style windows ensure the passing scenery is never missed.
Directly above the Lounge is the Bellevue Bar, offering 180-degree views from the breathtaking floor-to-ceiling windows.
All the way aft is the ship’s restaurant, which is capable of seating 170 passengers at a single sitting – well above the ship’s maximum occupancy. While the style is elegant and the service gracious, the open-seating arrangement allows passengers to dine with whomever they want. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served here.
Up top, a Sun Deck offers passengers the opportunity to take in the fresh air and sights of the most majestic waterways in Europe.
River Cruisers Should Know!
- Although designed for the solo traveler, passengers may still find the Category CS staterooms to be a tight squeeze at 86 square feet.
- There is no passenger elevator aboard Viking Primadonna.
- Complimentary shipboard Wi-Fi access is provided.