VIKING EMERALD Ship Review
Built in 2011, the 256-guest Viking Emerald operates Viking’s China river cruises along the famed Yangtze. She features all-balcony staterooms and interiors designed by Yran & Storbraaten, who are perhaps better known for their interior design work on everything from Silversea’s Silver Shadow to Disney’s Disney Dream. Aboard Viking Emerald, they weave their magic, creating interior spaces that are striking and uncommon to many river cruise vessels, like the ship’s sweeping four-story atrium. She is 415 feet long and carries a crew of 168.
VIKING EMERALD Staterooms
There are 128 staterooms aboard Viking Emerald, all of which include private balconies and hotel-style beds. The smallest staterooms measure a very comfortable 269 square feet.
There are nine different stateroom categories aboard Viking Emerald:
- Category A, B, C, D, E and F staterooms all measure 269 square feet and are located on Upper, Middle and Main decks. They all feature a small sitting area, a private bathroom with shower, air conditioning, a wardrobe, space under beds for storing luggage, a tv, and a kettle and instant coffee available in the stateroom. The only difference between each category is its physical location on the ship.
- Junior Suites measure 301 square feet and are located on Upper and Middle decks. The have all the amenities of the above staterooms, but with increased living space.
- Suites are slightly larger than Junior Suites at 327 square feet. They are located aft on the Observation Deck, and boast all the amenities of the above staterooms, but with additional living space.
- Presidential Suites are the top-line accommodation aboard Viking Emerald. Located on Middle Deck, these two forward-facing staterooms are 840 square feet apiece and feature panoramic windows opening onto a private wraparound balcony. Bedrooms are separated from the living area, which features a full sofa, coffee table and desk. Presidential Suite bathrooms also feature a full bathtub.
As with many ships, these suites can sell out quickly, so it can pay to book well in advance.
VIKING EMERALD Public Areas
With interior spaces designed by Yran & Storbraaten, Viking Emerald resembles a scaled-down deep ocean cruise ship both in her décor and appointments. The striking, four-story atrium is tastefully done in an understated elegance, with clean lines, soft woods, and marble.
A forward-facing observation lounge allows for expansive views of the Yangtze and features comfortable seating, a full bar, and an adjacent 24-hour coffee station.
The dining room aft on Main Deck features panoramic windows and is open-seating, allowing guests to dine with whomever they want at tables which can accommodate up to eight people. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served here.
Viking Emerald also features an open Sun Deck and a more sheltered Observation Deck for comfortable viewing in all weather conditions.
River Cruisers Should Know!
- Viking Emerald is equipped with two passenger elevators.
- All staterooms aboard Swiss Emerald are fitted with 220 volt, European style two-prong plugs. North American cruisers should bring an adapter, such as the Samsonite Europe Non-Grounded adapter.
Read more about Viking Emerald.
Viking LongShips Reviews
|Ship||Type||Live Voyage Report|
|Viking Aegir||Viking Longship|
|Viking Alsvin||Viking Longship|
|Viking Atla||Viking Longship|
|Viking Baldur||Viking Longship|
|Viking Bragi||Viking Longship|
|Viking Buri||Viking Longship|
|Viking Delling||Viking Longship|
|Viking Eir||Viking Longship|
|Viking Embla||Viking Longship|
|Viking Forseti||Viking Longship|
|Viking Freya||Viking Longship|
|Viking Gefjon||Viking Longship|
|Viking Gullveig||Viking Longship|
|Viking Heimdal||Viking Longship|
|Viking Hlin||Viking Longship|
|Viking Idi||Viking Longship|
|Viking Idun||Viking Longship|
|Viking Ingvi||Viking Longship|
|Viking Jarl||Viking Longship|
|Viking Kara||Viking Longship|
|Viking Kvasir||Viking Longship|
|Viking Lif||Viking Longship|
|Viking Lofn||Viking Longship|
|Viking Magni||Viking Longship|
|Viking Mani||Viking Longship|
|Viking Mimir||Viking Longship|
|Viking Modi||Viking Longship|
|Viking Njord||Viking Longship|
|Viking Odin||Viking Longship|
|Viking Rinda||Viking Longship|
|Viking Skadi||Viking Longship|
|Viking Skirnir||Viking Longship|
|Viking Tor||Viking Longship|
|Viking Var||Viking Longship|
|Viking Ve||Viking Longship|
|Viking Vidar||Viking Longship|
|Viking Vili||Viking Longship|
|Viking Hemming||Viking Douro Ship|
|Viking Torgil||Viking Douro Ship|
|Viking Osfrid||Viking Douro Ship|
|Viking Astrild||Viking Elbe Ship|
|Viking Beyla||Viking Elbe Ship|
|Viking Fontane||Viking Elbe Ship|
|Viking Schumann||Viking Elbe Ship|
|Viking Legend||Viking Prestige Ship|
|Viking Prestige||Viking Prestige Ship|
|Viking Akun||Russia River Cruise Ship|
|Viking Ingvar||Russia River Cruise Ship|
|Viking Truvor||Russia River Cruise Ship|
|Viking Emerald||Asia River Cruise Ship|
|Viking Mandalay||Asia River Cruise Ship|
|Viking Mekong||Asia River Cruise Ship|
|ms Mayfair||Egypt River Cruise Ship|
|ms Omar El Khayam||Egypt River Cruise Ship|
Hamilton and Marie Donaldson says
An absolutely fabulous trip taken in March 2012 with wonderful experiences and memories , so good we are repeating the trip in March 2015. First class all the way. thankyou
Aaron Saunders says
Always wonderful to hear! A good trip deserves to be repeated.