YANGZI EXPLORER Ship Review
YANGZI EXPLORER Overview
The Yangzi Explorer was built in 1995 and refurbished in 2008. It’s a 5-star luxury vessel that is one of the smallest that operates overnight cruises on the Yangtze River in China. The 300-foot long vessel carries 124 passengers and 130 crew members. That’s not a typo either. Yes, there are actually more crew members than guests.
There are 5 passenger decks aboard the Yangzi Explorer, and 4 of the decks have staterooms. Staterooms are very spacious ranging in size from 333 square feet to 1183 square feet. As another added bonus, 100 percent of the staterooms have balconies.
In addition to its luxury accommodations, the Yangzi Explorer also features an Espresso Bar, the Tang Theater, a Medical Clinic, a Spa & Massage Room, a Fitness Center, a Beauty Salon, a Library and Boutique Shops in addition to its Main Dining Room and the Explorer Bar.
YANGZI EXPLORER Staterooms
The Yangzi Explorer has 6 different stateroom categories that are further differentiated by their relative positions on the ship and their square footage. They range in size from 333 square feet to 1,183 square feet:
Main Deck (Deck 1)
There is one stateroom category with 16 staterooms available on this deck.
- Deluxe Category – There are 16 staterooms available and 12 are connecting cabins. 6 of the cabins have a king-size bed. and the remaining 12 have 2 twin-size beds. Staterooms are located Forward and Midship and measure 333 square feet.
Xiling Deck (Deck 2)
There are 3 stateroom categories and 16 cabins on this deck.
- Deluxe Cabin – There are 14 cabins available and 12 are connecting cabins. 6 of the staterooms have a king-size bed, and the remaining have 2 twin-size beds. Staterooms are located Forward and Midship and measure 333 square feet.
- Celestial Suite – There is one cabin available located Forward on the ship. This and the Imperial Suite are the largest staterooms onboard the Yangzi Explorer, measuring an incredible 1,183 square feet.
- Imperial Suite – There is only one cabin available on this deck (and on the entire ship). Like the Celestial Suite listed above, it’s located Forward on the ship and is the largest stateroom category on the Yangzi Explorer. Stateroom size is 1,183 square feet.
Wu Deck (Deck 3)
There are 15 staterooms located on this deck in 2 different categories.
- Deluxe Cabin – There are 8 staterooms available land 4 are connecting cabins. 4 of the staterooms have king-size beds,, the remaining 4 have twin-size beds. Staterooms are located Midship and measure 333 square feet.
- Suite – There are 7 staterooms available and 4 are connecting cabins. 4 of the staterooms have king-size beds, and the remaining 3 have twin-size beds. Suites are located Forward and Midship and measure 420 square feet.
Qutang Deck (Deck 4)
There are 15 staterooms located on this deck in 3 different categories.
- Suite – There are 13 staterooms available land 4 are connecting cabins. 8 of the staterooms have king-size beds,, the remaining 5 have twin-size beds. Staterooms are located Forward and Midship and measure 420 square feet.
- Jade Suite – There is one suite available located Forward on the ship. This and the Madarin Suite are the 2nd largest staterooms onboard the Yangzi Explorer. There is only one Jade Suite available on the ship. Suite size is 871 square feet.
- Mandarin Suite – There is one suite available located Forward on the ship. There is only one Mandarin Suite available on the Yangzi Explorer. Stateroom size is 871 square feet.
All 62 staterooms aboard the Yangzi Explorer have a balcony. That’s well above the industry standard. Stateroom size is also much larger than you’ll find on other river cruise ships, particularly in Europe and North America.
At the very minimum, stateroom are equipped with a 37″ Philips LCD TV; Satellite Programs, such as HBO, CNN, ESPN and the Discovery Channel; and a Video-on-Demand System.
Cabins are also furnished with an IDD Telephone, hairdryer, mini bar, safe and individual climate control.
Many of the Deluxe and Suite categories have connecting cabins, which might be valuable to friends or families traveling together.
YANGZI EXPLORER Public Areas
The Yangzi Explorer offers a nice array of public areas, including the Espresso Bar on the Main Deck and and the Explorer Bar on the Explorer Deck.
Guest gather for dinner in the Dining Room on the Main Deck and for nightly entertainment in the Tang Theater on the Xiling and Wu Decks.
The Yangzi Explorer also offers services at the Beauty Salon, the Spa & Dragonfly on the Qutang Deck and the Medical/Health Clinic on the Wu Deck.
A few additional spots available to guests, include a Fitness Center on Qutang Deck, a Library and Boutique Shops.
River Cruisers Should Know!
- Intimate 124-guest ship provides a highly personalized experience
- All staterooms have a river view.
- An elevator is available for passenger use.
- Laundry Service is available (there may be a fee).
- 24-hour room service is available.
- Free WiFi is available onboard.
- All staterooms aboard Century are fitted with 220 volt, European style two-prong plugs. North American cruisers should bring an adapter, such as the Samsonite Europe Non-Grounded adapter.
- Citizens of many countries are required by the Government of China to obtain a visa in addition to their regular passport. All passports must be valid for six months from the date of return. Obtaining these documents is the responsibility of the guest.
See other Tauck Ship Reviews:
- ms Esprit
- ms Grace
- ms Inspire
- ms Joy
- ms Savor
- ms Swiss Emerald
- ms Swiss Jewel
- ms Swiss Sapphire
- ms Treasures
Read other articles about the Yangzi Explorer.