SCENIC GEM Review
The Scenic Gem was introduced in 2014. This “space ship” is smaller that the other vessels in Scenic’s fleet; however, it’s similar in size to other ships that cruise on the Seine River. Carrying up to 126 passengers and 46 crew members, the Scenic Germ is 361 feet long.
This vessel was built in a similar fashion to the other “space ship” – just on a smaller scale. It has the same basic design in terms of layout and specifications. Unlike many river cruise ships, Scenic Gem offers full, step-out balconies in place of more traditional French balcony staterooms. And 85 percent of its cabins have private balconies.
SCENIC Gem Staterooms
There are 13 different stateroom categories aboard the Scenic Gem. Categories are further differentiated by their relative positions on the ship and their square footage:
Jewel Deck (Deck 1)
- Category E is a Standard Stateroom. There are 2 staterooms available located Forward on the ship. This category features windows that do not open. Stateroom size is 160 square feet.
- Category D is a Standard Stateroom. There are 5 staterooms available located Forward on the ship. This category features windows that do not open. Stateroom size is 160 square feet.
Sapphire Deck ( Deck 2)
- Category C is a Balcony Suite. There are 4 suites available located Aft. Stateroom size is 205 square feet.
- Category BA is a Balcony Suite. There are 8 suites available located Aft to Midship. Stateroom size is 205 square feet.
- Category B is a Balcony Suite. There are 10 suites available located Forward and Midship. Stateroom size is 205 square feet.
- Category BD is a Balcony Suite. There are 6 suites available located Forward on the ship. Stateroom size is 225 square feet.
Diamond Deck ( Deck 3)
- Category PA is a Balcony Suite. There are 10 suites available located Aft. Stateroom size is 205 square feet.
- Category P is a Balcony Suite. There are 11 suites available located Forward and Midship. Stateroom size is 205 square feet.
- Category PD is a Deluxe Balcony Suite. There are 3 suites (#303, #305 and #306) available located Forward. Stateroom size is 225 square feet.
- Category RJ is a Junior Balcony Suite. There is one suite (#301) available located Forward. Stateroom size is 250 square feet.
- Category R is a Royal Suite. There are 2 suites available (#302 to #304) located Aft. Stateroom size is 305 square feet.
- Category RP is a Royal One Bedroom Suite. There are 2 suites (#328 and #331) available located Aft. Stateroom size is 455 square feet.
All staterooms feature flat-panel televisions, safes, wireless internet access, complimentary minibars, L’Occitane bath amenities, hairdryers, plush bathrobes, and Scenic’s own “Scenic Slumber Beds,” featuring crisp Egyptian linens.
Cabins located on the Sapphire and Diamond decks have “Sun Lounge” balconies, which feature floor-to-ceiling retractable windows. See related article about Scenic Sun Lounges
SCENIC GEM Public Areas
A Aboard Scenic’s “Space Ships,” several comfortable public areas are available for passengers to relax and mingle in.
The Panorama Lounge and Bar is situated all the way forward on Diamond Deck and features floor-to-ceiling windows that allow for spectacular views of the passing scenery; a distinguishing feature of river cruising.
There are also several dining options available on the Scenic Jasper. On the Sapphire Deck, you’ll find the Crystal Dining Room,which features a buffet-style breakfast, an à la carte menu and buffet for lunch and a full menu for dinner guests. The Table La Rive, which is open to guests in select stateroom categories, is also located on the Sapphire Deck.
Portobellos Restaurantfeaturing a traditional Italian cuisine is open for dinner, and the the River Café for casual dining and snacks is open between breakfast and dinner. Both are located on the Diamond Deck.
And on the Sun Deck, the Riverview Terrace provides an open-air, al-fresco dining experience.
For guests who prefer In-Suite Dining on occasion, this option is available.
Other public areas for guests to enjoy include a Wellness Area with a small Spa Facility and Beauty Salon and a Fitness Center located on the Jewel Deck.
River Cruisers Should Know!
- Scenic’s “Space Ships” feature full, step-out balconies. There are no French balcony staterooms onboard.
- Private Butler Service is provided for all stateroom categories, including 24-hour room service.
- An elevator for passenger use is available.
- Gratuities, on board and ashore, are included on all Scenic Cruises.
- Complimentary wine, beer, spirits, specialty coffees, teas and soft drinks.
- In-Suite mini-bar is restocked daily.
- Onboard stateroom power is 220 volts; North American cruisers will require a power adapter.
See other articles about Scenic Gem.
Scenic Ship Reviews
|Ship||Live Voyage Report|