SCENIC AMBER Review
SCENIC AMBER Overview
Sister-ship to Scenic Jasper and Scenic Opal, Scenic Amber is one of Scenic’s “Space Ships” that ply the rivers of Europe. Trendsetting and unique, she can carry 169 guests and a crew of 51 in all-inclusive luxury.
Unlike many river cruise ships, Scenic Amber offers full, step-out balconies in place of more traditional French balcony staterooms. A full 85 percent of its 85 cabins have private balconies.
Read Ralph’s Voyage Report from onboard sister-ship Scenic Jasper from April 2015 to get a better idea of what a voyage is like aboard Scenic Amber: Day 1 Budapest; Day 3 Cruising the Danube; Day 4 Durnstein/Melk; Day 5 Linz; Day 6 Vienna; Day 7 Christening and End of Cruise Summary
SCENIC AMBER Staterooms
There are six basic categories of staterooms aboard Scenic Amber, each of which is further divided into subcategories priced relative to the size and physical location of the suite. They are:
- Standard Suites, which are the most economical means of getting onboard. At 160 square feet, these staterooms located on Jewel Deck feature a fixed “riverview” window instead of a balcony.
- Private Balcony Suites are one more step up the accommodations ladder. At 205 square feet, they include a full-length outdoor balcony with Scenic’s Sun Lounge system, and private bathrooms with a luxurious vanity basin and shower.
- Private Deluxe Balcony Suites are located at the front of the ship on Sapphire and Diamond decks, and measure 225 square feet. These staterooms offer more space but similar features to the Private Balcony Suite rooms.
- Junior Suites, on Sapphire and Diamond decks, are 250 square feet. They feature the same amenities and layout as the Private Balcony and Private Deluxe Balcony suites, but with additional living space.
- Royal One Bedroom Suites are, at 475 square feet, the largest suites aboard Scenic Amber. Located on Diamond Deck, these suites have separated lounge and sleeping areas, along with a substantially larger bathroom that features a separate bath and shower.
- Royal Balcony Suites are slightly smaller, at 360 square feet. They feature a substantially larger room with bed and lounge areas, a larger bathroom, and an oversized private Scenic Sun Lounge balcony.
All suites and staterooms feature personal butler service; complimentary Wi-Fi internet, 32-inch Samsung high-definition televisions linked to a MiniMac computer, providing easy access to in-cabin internet and e-mail capabilities thanks to an upgraded Wi-Fi system that uses both satellite and UMTS mobile technology for faster speeds. Individual thermostat temperature settings, Egyptian linens, large walk-in showers, L’Occitane products and a glass-front bar fridge, replenished daily, round out the amenity list for these staterooms.
SCENIC AMBER Public Areas
Aboard Scenic’s “Space Ships,” several comfortable public areas are available for passengers to relax and mingle in.
The Panorama Lounge and Bar is situated all the way forward on Diamond Deck and features floor-to-ceiling windows that allow for spectacular views of the passing scenery; a distinguishing feature of river cruising.
Multiple dining venues are also available aboard Scenic Amber. On the Sapphire Deck, you’ll find the Crystal Dining Room, which features a buffet-style breakfast, an à la carte menu and buffet for lunch and a full menu for dinners. The exclusive Table La Rive, which is open to guests in select stateroom categories, is also located on the Sapphire Deck.
Scenic also offers a variety of alternative options for meals. Portobellos Restaurant, featuring a traditional Italian cuisine, is open for dinner, and the River Café, for casual dining and snacks, is open between breakfast and dinner. Both are located on the Diamond Deck.
Up on the Sun Deck, the Riverview Terrace provides an open-air, Al-Fresco dining experience that’s great on days of scenic cruising.
For guests who prefer In-Suite Dining on occasion, this option is available to all guests by way of their butler. Just give them a ring and your meal will magically appear.
Other public areas for guests to enjoy include a Vitality Pool, Fitness Center and Hair Salon on the Jewel Deck. A small-but-functional Spa is available on the Sapphire Deck.
River Cruisers Should Know!
- Scenic’s “Space Ships” feature full, step-out balconies. There are no French balcony staterooms onboard.
- Private Butler Serviceis provided for all stateroom categories, including 24-hour room service.
- An elevator for passenger use is available.
- Gratuities, on board and ashore, are included on all Scenic Cruises.
- Complimentary wine, beer, spirits, specialty coffees, teas and soft drinks.
- In-Suite mini-bar is restocked daily.
- Onboard stateroom power is 220 volts; North American cruisers will require a power adapter.