THOMAS HARDY Ship Review
Launched in 2017, the ms Thomas Hardy is the newest river cruise ship to ply the waters of Europe for Riviera River Cruises. Named after the English poet (and not the Mad Max: Fury Road star), she carries 169 guests and a crew of 44 in comfortable, elegant surroundings.
Throughout the ship, wood and earth tones create a soothing atmosphere. Plenty of seating options are available in the ship’s main public rooms, which include the Restaurant, the Panorama Lounge, and the more casual Bistro located all the way aft on Diamond Deck.
A spacious Sun Deck allows for guests to relax under shaded loungers, or take in the sun on open seating forward of the bridge. A jogging track, fitness center, and small salon round out the list of amenities.
THOMAS HARDY Staterooms
- Emerald Deck Suites are the entry-level accommodations aboard the ms Thomas Hardy. Measuring 172 square feet, they are located on the lowest passenger deck and have fixed, quarter-height riverview windows. Décor is elegant, with backlit headboards and dark walnut cabinetry. Riviera River Cruises offers some of these rooms for sole occupancy with no additional supplement.
- Ruby and Diamond Deck Suites feature French balconies and are slightly larger than Emerald Deck Suites, coming in at 183 square feet. Their designation is a bit of a misnomer, as they are not really suites in the truest sense of the word, but they still offer plenty of storage space and marble bathrooms with rainforest shower heads.
- Superior Suites are located on Ruby and Diamond decks and offer more personal space, at 247 square feet. They offer a larger living area with a table and two chairs, along with all the features of the Ruby and Diamond Deck Suites.
- Deluxe Balcony Suites are the largest type of accommodations aboard the ms Thomas Hardy. These 269-square-foot suites have an enlarged living and sleeping area, along with a full-step out balcony complete with two chairs and a small table.
THOMAS HARDY Public Areas
Thomas Hardy features a small pool and putting green located on the Sun Deck, plus a small spa and hair salon.
Meals in The Restaurant are buffet-style, except for dinners, which are four-course affairs. An al fresco Bistro is situated all the way aft overlooking the ship’s stern, and provides meals and a complimentary 24-hour coffee station with pastries and other goodies.
The ship’s Panorama Lounge is the main social hub of the ship, and is located just off the reception lobby. A small gift shop is adjacent to this space, which also has the Purser and Tour desks.
River Cruisers Should Know!
- Although Thomas Hardy has a lift, it does not travel to the uppermost Sun Deck.