AVALON POETRY II Overview (Updated 2018)
This review was originally published in 2015, and has been updated to include 2018 amenities and features.
Avalon Waterways launched the Avalon Poetry II in 2014. Similar to other Suite Ships in its fleet, the 361-foot long Avalon Poetry II features 52 suites onboard and 12 standard riverview staterooms. Accommodations range in size from 172 to 300 square feet, and suites feature Wall-to Wall Open-Air Balcony windows are featured in all of its suites.
Avalon Poetry II currently makes her home in France, where she sails itineraries through Burgundy & Provence throughout the 2018-2019 river cruise seasons.
AVALON POETRY II Staterooms
The Avalon Poetry II has five different stateroom categories that are further differentiated by their relative position on the ship and their square footage:
Indigo Deck (Deck 1)There are two stateroom categories on the Indigo Deck. The are both 172 square feet in size. All 12 staterooms feature two small windows rather than a balcony. The windows are located near the ceiling and do not open.
- Category E is a Standard Stateroom. There are six staterooms available located Forward.
- Category D is a Standard Stateroom. There are six staterooms available located Midship.
Sapphire Deck (Deck 2)There are two stateroom categories on the second deck located Midship and Aft. Both categories are 200 square feet in size and feature a Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Window with Open-Air Balcony®.
- Category B is a Panorama Suite. There are 8 cabins available located Aft.
- Category A is a Panorama Suite. There are 18 cabins available located Midship.
Royal Deck (Deck 3)There are two stateroom categories on the third deck. Both categories feature a Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Window with Open-Air Balcony®.
- Category P is a Panorama Suite. There are 24 cabins available located Midship and Aft. Stateroom size is 200 square feet.
- Royal Suite – There are only two Royal Suites (#306 and #308) available. Both are located Midship. Stateroom size is 300 square feet.
In addition to spacious accommodations, Avalon Waterways strives to provide its guests with very comfortable bedding. All rooms have Avalon’s super-luxe Comfort Collection Beds. These very comfortable beds have a memory foam mattress topper and are covered with super-combed cotton linens and European-style duvets.
All stateroom categories have a robe and slippers for each guest; L’Occitane bath products; a flat-screen TV with over 100 movies on-demand; a well-stocked minibar; complimentary WiFi; an in-room safe, writing desk and individual climate control.
A few additional items are included in the Panorama and Royal Suites. Both have a six-person sitting area with a sofa and coffee table and bathrooms are designed with marble counter tops. Royal Suite bathrooms also feature elegant double-vanity sinks.
AVALON POETRY II Public Areas
There are three dining venues available on the Avalon Poetry II. The ship’s main Dining Room is located on the Sapphire Deck. Here you will be served a 4-course meal for dinner and a buffet-style lunch. Other lighter and more casual dining options include the Panorama Bistro on the Royal Deck and the Sky Bistro on the top deck. Open seating is featured in all dining areas.
The Avalon Poetry II has two lounges where guest can socialize and enjoy their favorite drinks. The Panorama Lounge forward features 180-degree views overlooking the bow of the ship, complete with a full-service bar and indoor/outdoor seating. At the stern of the ship, the Club Lounge offers up round-the-clock tea and coffee, as well as lite bites throughout the day.
A few other places for guests to enjoy include a Deck Game Area and a Whirlpool on the Sky Deck, a Fitness Center on the Indigo Deck, and a Hair Salon and Internet Corner on the Royal Deck.
River Cruisers Should Know!
- All staterooms and suites have a river view.
- An elevator for passenger use is available.
- Wireless internet service is available throughout the ship, including stateroom.
- Onboard stateroom power is 220 volts; North American cruisers will require a power adapter.
- Nordic walking sticks and bicycles are available onboard for guests to use.
Read other articles about the Avalon Poetry II.
Live Voyage Report – Avalon Creativity On The Seine
- Day 1: Cruising La Seine From Paris to Rouen Through Art & History On Avalon Waterways’ Creativity
- Day 2: Two Overnights In Paris On Avalon Creativity
- Day 3: Monet, Monet, Monet: Impressions Of An Impressionist’s Gardens In Giverny
- Day 4: Roses & Ruins In Rouen, And A Young Lady Martyred & Remembered
- Day 5: A Trip To The Landing Beaches & A Stunning Discovery At The American Cemetery
- Day 6: Conquering Richard The Lionheart’s Castle
- Day 7: Avalon Creativity Cruise Review: Seven Days On The Seine, Does Avalon Measure Up?
Avalon Waterways - Europe Ships
Avalon Waterways - Asia, Galapagos & Amazon Ships
|Ship||Live Voyage Report|
|Avalon Myanmar (Irrawaddy River)|
|Avalon Siem Reap (Mekong River)|
|Century Legend (Yangtze River)|
|Century Paragon (Yangtze River)|
|Amazon Discovery (Amazon River)|
|Sonesta (Nile River)|
|Isabella II (Galápagos Islands)|
Read other articles on River Cruise Advisor about Avalon Waterways.