AVALON ILLUMINATON Ship Review
AVALON IllUMINATION Overview
In 2014 Avalon Waterways introduced the Avalon Illumination. Like the company’s other Suite Ships, it is 443 feet long and has 67 suites and 16 staterooms. The ship features wall-to-wall windows with an Open-Air Balcony® in all of its suites. And staterooms range in size from 172 square feet to 300 square feet.
Traveling along the waterways between the Rhine and Danube rivers, the Avalon Illumination offer itineraries that are from 8 to 24 days long. There are a variety of packages that include travel to several destinations between Amsterdam and Bucharest as well as cities, such as London and Prague.
During your river cruise, you’ll start your day with breakfast with the Breakfast Buffet, which is available for both early and late risers. It features a made-to-order egg station as well as a selection of low-calorie, low-fat, low-cholesterol, high-fiber and high-energy foods.
A buffet-style lunch is served onboard. And in the evening, you’ll be served a 4-course meal in the main Dining Room. Or you may opt to eat a lighter meal at the Panorama Bistro or the Sky Bistro. Seating is open for all venues.
Other amenities on the Avalon Illumination, include a Whirlpool, Fitness Center, Hair Salon, Library, Internet Corner, Bar and the Observation Lounge and Panorama Lounge.
AVALON ILLUMINATION Staterooms
The Avalon Illumination has 6 different stateroom categories that are further differentiated by their relative position on the ship and their square footage:
Indigo Deck (Deck 1)
There are 2 stateroom categories on the Indigo Deck. Stateroom size for both categories is 172 square feet. All 16 staterooms feature 2 small windows rather than a balcony. The windows do not open.
- Category E is a Standard Stateroom. There are 6 staterooms available located Forward.
- Category D is a Standard Stateroom. There are 10 staterooms available located Midship.
Sapphire Deck (Deck 2)
There are 2 stateroom categories on the second deck located Midship and Aft. Both categories are 200 square feet in size and feature a Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Window with Open-Air Balcony®.
- Category B is a Panorama Suite. There are 9 cabins available located Aft.
- Category A is a Panorama Suite. There are 24 cabins available located Midship.
Royal Deck (Deck 3)
There are 2 stateroom categories on the third deck. Both categories feature a Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Window with Open-Air Balcony®.
- Category P is a Panorama Suite. There are 32 cabins available located Midship and Aft. Stateroom size is 200 square feet.
- Royal Suite – There are only 2 Royal Suites (#310 and #312) available. Both are located Midship. Stateroom size is 300 square feet.
Regardless of your cabin selection, you’ll be treated to super comfortable bedding, a bathrobe and slippers and L’Occitane bath products. All staterooms are furnished with Comfort Collection BedsSM that are made with Egyptian super-combed cotton linens and European-style duvets. Each bed has a memory foam mattress topper and soft and firm pillows.
All stateroom categories have a flat-screen satellite TV with movie channel, well-stocked minibar, complimentary WiFi, in-room safe, writing desk and individual climate control.
A few additional items are included in the Panorama and Royal Suites. Both have a 6-person sitting area with a sofa and coffee table and bathrooms are designed with marble counter tops. And the Royal Suite bathrooms feature double sinks.
AVALON ILLUMINATION Public Areas
There are quite a few areas to gather on the Avalon Illumination. You can mingle with other guests in the Observation Lounge, Panorama Lounge or the Club Lounge on the Royal Deck (third deck) or the Sky Lounge on Deck 4.
Dining options, include the main Dining Room on the Sapphire Deck and a couple of other spots. For more casual options, you can grab a bite to eat at the Panorama Bistro on the Royal Deck or the Sky Bistro on the Sky Deck.
On Deck 4, you can relax in the Whirlpool or enjoy some friendly competition in the Deck Game Area.
A few other public areas on the Avalon Illumination, include a Fitness Center on Deck 1, a Hair Salon on Deck 3 and the Internet Corneralso on the third deck.
River Cruisers Should Know!
- All staterooms and suites have a river view.
- An elevator for passenger use is available.
- Wireless internet service is available throughout the ship, including stateroom.
- Onboard stateroom power is 220 volts; North American cruisers will require a power adapter.
Read other articles about the Avalon Illumination.
Live Voyage Report – Avalon Creativity On The Seine
- Day 1: Cruising La Seine From Paris to Rouen Through Art & History On Avalon Waterways’ Creativity
- Day 2: Two Overnights In Paris On Avalon Creativity
- Day 3: Monet, Monet, Monet: Impressions Of An Impressionist’s Gardens In Giverny
- Day 4: Roses & Ruins In Rouen, And A Young Lady Martyred & Remembered
- Day 5: A Trip To The Landing Beaches & A Stunning Discovery At The American Cemetery
- Day 6: Conquering Richard The Lionheart’s Castle
- Day 7: Avalon Creativity Cruise Review: Seven Days On The Seine, Does Avalon Measure Up?
Avalon Waterways - Europe Ships
Avalon Waterways - Asia, Galapagos & Amazon Ships
|Ship||Live Voyage Report|
|Avalon Myanmar (Irrawaddy River)|
|Avalon Siem Reap (Mekong River)|
|Century Legend (Yangtze River)|
|Century Paragon (Yangtze River)|
|Amazon Discovery (Amazon River)|
|Sonesta (Nile River)|
|Isabella II (Galápagos Islands)|
Read other articles on River Cruise Advisor about Avalon Waterways.