Comparisons: Useful Resources For Comparing River Cruise Companies, Rivers, Ships, Staterooms, Pricing & More
The most frequent question we’re asked here on River Cruise Advisor relates to differentiation. How is one river cruise company different from another? What’s the difference in the Rhine and the Danube? What the differences in the staterooms on various ships? What does a river cruise cost? We address these questions with comparisons.
Price Comparisons For River Cruises In EuropeClick the links in the right column to access current price comparisons among all major river cruise companies and for tips on how to save.
|Bordeaux, Garonne & Dordogne rivers|
|Lower Danube River|
|Between Amsterdam & Budapest|
|Rhone & Saone rivers|
Attributes Of The Top River Cruise Companies
|Beer/Wine Lunch & Dinner?||**|
|Drinks Included 24/7?||**||**||**||**|
|Two Room Suites||**||**|
|Own & Operate||**|
|Port Charges Included|
While we've tried to be as accurate as possible, sometimes the answer require more than a simple yes or no. For example, while all river cruise companies in the accompanying table offer complimentary shore excursions in ports of call, some charge for "optional" excursions. Also, airport transfers are included when air tickets are purchased with the river cruise company, but may not be included otherwise. We’ve indicated companies that always include airport transfers, even for guests who have made independent air arrangements.
AmaWaterways **: Beer, wine and soft drinks included with lunch and dinner; sparkling wine with breakfast; and complimentary cocktails during Happy Hour. Complimentary shore excursions included in every port, along with complimentary Special Interest Tours. AmaWaterways features twin balconies, both a French and an outside balcony, in many staterooms. In addition to the main dining room, AmaWaterways features The Chef's Table restaurant, with its multi-course, wine-paired dinners, at no additional charge. Light lunches and breakfast are served in the lounge, along with full lunches and breakfast served in the main dining room. Airport transfers are included when purchasing air through AmaWaterways. Pre-paid gratuities are offered.
Avalon Waterways **: Beer and wine included with lunch and dinner, sparkling wine with breakfast, and complimentary cocktails during happy hour. Coffee, tea and non-alcoholic beverages complimentary 24/7. In addition to the main dining room, Avalon offers small group (30 people) reservations to Panorama Bistro (light menu paired with wine). When weather permits, grilled lunches are available on the Sky Deck. Meals can also be served in the Club Lounge and Panorama Lounge. Some optional tours require a fee. Airport transfers included when purchasing air from Avalon.
CroisiEurope **: Extra charge only for high-end champagnes and wines. Wi-Fi internet access with complimentary use of Samsung tablet. Complimentary shore excursions included in every port.
Emerald Cruises **: Complimentary shore excursions in every port. Wine, beer & soda complimentary with lunch and dinner. Room service included for suites. Laundry concierge available for a fee; complimentary for suites.
Riviera **: Riviera’s beverage package, which includes wine and beer with lunch and dinner, ranges from $99 per person to $299 per person depending on the duration of the cruise. Expect to pay $129 for the drink package on a weeklong cruise.
Scenic **: Inclusions are for all guests, regardless of ship or suite.
Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection **: Free laundry service in higher-end suites across its fleet. Additionally, most Uniworld ships have complimentary self-service laundry facilities for passengers to use. Room Service and Butler Service on Uniworld is at the suite level only. Uniworld’s ships have multiple dining venues including restaurants and cafés. Guests also have the option to eat each course in a different part of the ship such as appetizers on the top deck and dessert in the galley on all super ships.
Viking River Cruises ** : A complimentary shore excursion is included in every port. Beer, wine and soft drinks included with lunch and dinner. Specialty coffee & teas available anytime. Optional Silver Spirit beverage packages are available for an extra fee, this makes drinks all-inclusive. Room service, stocked mini-bars and laundry are included for Explorer Suites. Bicycles and gyms are available ashore and arranged by Viking. Airport transfers included when booking air (or receiving free air) with Europe.
Video Reviews of The RiversRiver Cruise Advisor's video reviews take two forms: ship and experience reviews, and Riverside Chats, more of a question and answer style video.
Riverside Chat Video
Douro River on Emerald Cruises
Rhine River On Viking
Amsterdam to Budapest on AmaWaterways
Rhone River on AmaWaterways
Seine River on AmaWaterways
- Price Comparisons: A Look At Pricing Differentials For European River Cruises
- How River Cruising Compares To Luxury Ocean Cruising
- River Cruise Reviews, Viking River Cruises, Uniworld River Cruises
- Compare River Cruise Lines: Which Company Fits Where?
- Comparing the Viking Longships
- River Cruises For Budget Travelers
Compare River Cruise Companies On Specific Rivers
- What’s the Best Choice for a Seine River Cruise?
- What’s the Best Choice for a River Cruise in Bordeaux?
- What’s the Best Choice for a Saône River Cruise?
- What’s the Best Choice for a Elbe River Cruise?
- What’s the Best Choice for a Main River Cruise?
- What’s the Best Choice For A Rhône River Cruise?
- What’s the Best Choice For A Rhine River Cruise?
- Comparing Stateroom Sizes On River Cruisers
- Staterooms: River Cruisers vs. Cruise Ships
- Rhône & Saône River Stateroom Size Comparisons
- Rhine, Main & Danube River Stateroom Size Comparisons
- AmaWaterways: What Are Its Smallest, Largest and Most Common Stateroom Sizes?
- Avalon Waterways: What Are Its Smallest, Largest and Most Common Stateroom Sizes?
- Scenic: What Are Its Smallest, Largest and Most Common Stateroom Sizes?
- Tauck: What Are Its Smallest, Largest and Most Common Stateroom Sizes?
- Uniworld: What Are Its Smallest, Largest and Most Common Stateroom Sizes?
- Viking River Cruises: What Are Its Smallest, Largest and Most Common Stateroom Sizes?
- A-ROSA: What Are Its Smallest, Largest and Most Common Stateroom Sizes?
- Choosing Your Stateroom
- The Best Ships for Balcony Lovers