Vidin and Belogradchik
Located on the banks of the Danube River, Vidin is a city found in the northwestern portion of Bulgaria. It is one of the oldest cities in Bulgaria, and as such, it has a very rich history that truly starts in the 1st century when it was occupied by the Romans. The Ottomans ruled the area from 1396 to 1878, at which time the area of Vidin became free of the Turks.
As beautiful as the town is, it one of the poorest in Europe. Still, it has gained some ground thanks to the tourism that comes from river cruises. The town features some fantastic historical sites and cultural sites that are sure to be popular with many travelers.
Belogradchik is located in the Vidin province in the foothills of the Balkans, and it has some truly breathtaking rock formations. It is a small town that you can experience simply by walking. However, there are some taxis available if you need.
Your Cruise Ship Docks …
In Vidin, ships will dock at the port of Vidin. If you want to visit Belogradchik, you will be able to take a bus, train, or a car to reach your destination. It will take about an hour to reach Belogradchik.
When in Vidin and Belogradchik …
Visitors to Vidin and Belogradchik will find many things to see and do when they visit these locations.
- Baba Vada Fortress – Built between the 10th and 14th century, this fortress is one of the most popular attractions in the city. It is a beautifully preserved castle (possibly the best in the country) that features great views, tools used by medieval people, and places to shop.
- Dimitar Church – This is the second largest church in Bulgaria and features a number of murals that highlight different events from the bible.
- Konaka Museum – Located in the center of the city, the museum features exhibits from the prehistoric age through the medieval age.
- Dining in Vidin – The following are just a few of the many great places to dine in the city: Mystique, Riviera, Bononia Restaurant, and Bulgaria.
- Belogradchik Rocks – Take the time to check out some of the unique and stunning rock formations around the town.
- Belogradchik Fortress – The fortress was built into the rocks on top of the town, and it provides a wonderful vantage point for visitors.
- Dining in Belogradchik – Some of the places to dine include Tavern Madonna and Restaurant Elite.
What Do River Cruisers Need to Know?
Many of the young people who are in Vidin and Belogradchik can and do speak English quite well. However, it is always a good idea to know at least a smattering of Romanian so you can communicate more easily during your visit.
Despite the fact that Vidin is a poor town, there is not really much crime, and travelers do not have to be overly concerned when they visit. Of course, taking normal precautions is always a good idea.