Last week, we highlighted AmaWaterways’ ’21’ Best Ship Features. This week, we continue to celebrate Ama’s 20th anniversary with a list of 20 (er, 21 because we found an extra) favorite cruise experiences. The list was compiled from comments by past guests, staff and travel professionals. Have you experienced any of these on a river cruise?
1. Witnessing the lifecycle of a tulip at a family-run farm boasting more than 1 million of the colorful flowers on a small group excursion in Hoorn, Netherlands. Book It: Tulip Time
2. Taking a spectacular photo as you sail the Seine River toward the iconic Eiffel Tower and sharing a digital postcard with your family back home using our myAmaCruise app. Book It: Paris & Normandy
3. Spinning with a view in the open air exclusively aboard AmaWaterways’ award-winning AmaMagna while sailing past Budapest’s glorious Hungarian Parliament Building. Book It: Magna on the Danube
4. Marveling at the fairytale castles of the Rhine Gorge while sipping Rüdesheimer coffee on the Sun Deck as one of extraordinary Cruise Managers regales guests with tales of the fortresses’ history. Book It: Captivating Rhine
5. Biking through the French countryside from Blaye, meeting your ship in Bourg and being welcomed back on board with a refreshing chilled face towel and cold water. Book It: Taste of Bordeaux
6. Toasting a wonderful journey with Bavarian beer, fresh pretzels and a live performance of traditional music at an exclusive Oktoberfest celebration in Vilshofen – just for AmaWaterways’ guests Book It: Romantic Danube
7. Indulging in a complimentary multi-course tasting menu at The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant – only available on AmaWaterways’ ships – while watching your chef prepare each mouthwatering, regionally-inspired dish. Book It: The Chef’s Table included dining experience – reserve on board in Europe and Asia
8. Gazing in awe at a herd of elephants as they drink at the banks of the Chobe River. Book It: Africa Safaris & Wildlife Cruises
9. Relaxing out on your balcony in a cozy AmaWaterways bathrobe while cruising past the striking rock formations of the Iron Gates Gorge, widely considered the most picturesque area on the Lower Danube River. Book It: Gems of Southeast Europe
10. Delighting in the wondrously lit windows of Gengenbach’s Town Hall Advent Calendar and returning to the most elegantly decorated ship on the river where you’re greeted with a mug of hot glühwein and a tree trimming party. Book It: Christmas Markets on the Rhine
11. Exploring the unique rooms and spectacular pebble mosaic grotto at Greinberg’s Grein Castle before being treated to an exclusive folklore show and wine reception reserved for AmaWaterways guests. Book It: Melodies of the Danube
12. Dining on authentic Portuguese cuisine at a local quinta while sipping Port wine – an experience that is complimentary for our guests on every Douro River cruise. Book It: Enticing Douro
13. Practicing Tai Chi on the Sun Deck of the beautiful AmaDara alongside your Wellness Host while crossing the border from Cambodia to Vietnam and reflecting on the Buddhist Blessing Ceremony you experienced in Oudong two days prior. Book it: Charms of the Mekong
14. Sipping hand-selected local wines at historic European vineyards and cellars located in iconic wine regions alongside a dedicated Wine Host. Book It: Celebration of Wine River Cruises
15. Pedaling through Northern France’s wine regions and fascinating cities on up to nine included bike tours in just seven nights, each led by a local guide. Book It: Essence of Burgundy & Provence
16. Entering the Tomb of Queen Nefertari on a private tour just for AmaWaterways guests in Egypt’s ancient Valley of the Queens. Book It: Secrets of Egypt & the Nile
17. Paying your respects on the historic D-Day landing beaches of Normandy and participating in a moving wreath-laying ceremony honoring the lives of fallen soldiers. Book It: Impressions of the Seine & Paris
The top three experiences in our list were mentioned by guests just like you on our AmaInsiders Facebook Group. Thank you for sharing what most fills your heart with joy!
18. Renewing your vows on the Sun Deck while surrounded by postcard-perfect views on either side – following a morning of pampering that included massages and a nail or hair salon service. Book It: On any Europe itinerary – contact your travel advisor for details
19. Sailing through charming villages in Austria’s vineyard-rich Wachau Valley, a stunning UNESCO World Heritage Site – and having the opportunity to taste the apricot wines and products for which this region is renowned. Book It: On several Danube River itineraries
20. Making memories with kind-hearted people you meet along the way – especially your wonderful Cruise Manager who accompanies you throughout your journey, including on optional pre- and post-cruise land packages. Book It: On any AmaWaterways river cruise.
Bonus (21): Sunrises and Sunsets on the Rivers. See the photo below. Need we say more?
Check out co-founder Kristin Karst and what she has to say about the Ama experience in the video below.
AmaWaterways has launched several limited-time offers in honor of its 20th anniversary, providing travelers with opportunities to save on 2022 river cruise vacations. Top of the list in our view: free roundtrip airfare from all gateways in the U.S. and Canada. Also enticing: a full 20% savings on the total cruise fare on any 2022 Europe and Mekong sailings.
AmaWaterways today released the print version of its 2023 Europe Brochure, offering a look at a new vacation experiences, including its Seven River Journeys, Celebration of Classical Music: The Danube cruises and new 5-night Majestic Capitals of the Danube cruises.
On the heels of AmaWaterways’ beautiful AmaDahlia celebrating the close of her first season on Egypt’s legendary Nile River last week, the company announced it will launch a second ship in Egypt. The second ship, named AmaLilia, after the sacred blue water lily flower of ancient Egypt, will set sail in 2024 to meet the growing demand for this exotic offering.
AmaWaterways Debuts ‘Soulful Epicurean Experience On The River,’ A Special Journey Celebrating Black History & Culture
AmaWaterways has announced the debut of A Soulful Epicurean Experience on the River, a unique, first-ever sailing experience paired with its Colors of Provence river cruise. In addition, AmaWaterways is offering a new, specially curated 3-night post-cruise land package in Paris, which commemorates the city’s Black history, heritage and culture.