Our goal is to provide a True Per Diem for each cruise. Comparison charts serve as a guide and attempt to answer: What is the price for an entry-level and upgrade cabin; what’s included Rhone River cruise; what Rhone river cruise incentives are there for 2023? What is a Rhone river cruise going to cost me and how does the cruise I am looking at compare to Rhone river cruises offered by other companies?
Our charts focus primarily on seven-night/eight-day Rhône cruises for two in Southern France, operating between Burgundy and the Provence region. Rhone river cruises are a bit of a misnomer in that ships may cruise on both the Rhone and Saone rivers. The confluence of those two rivers is in Lyon. Some river cruises leave Lyon to cruise up the Saone as far as Chalon-sur-Saone, a city at the entrance to France’s famed Dijon region. Other river cruisers may begin their itinerary in Chalon-sur-Saone.
The Saône River begins in the Vosges department (county) near the border of Germany and ends in Lyon where it meets the Rhône. The Saône is connected to a few other waterways that are often traveled by river barge boats. About 16 miles southeast of Dijon, the Saone joins the Burgundy Canal in the city of Saint-Jean. And the Canal du Centre links the Loire River to the Saône. The Seine river and Saône river are also connected through a couple of different waterways – the Yonne River and the Burgundy Canal. Smaller vessels can travel between the Seine and Saône rivers.
Most of the cruises on the Rhone, however, operate between Lyon, France and Arles or Avignon. Some river cruises embark or disembark in Port Saint Louis, on the Mediterranean Sea. Others begin or stop in Tarascon, between Avignon and Arles.
Rhone river cruises travel through the historic and romantic wine region with guided shore excursions to Roman Ruins, castles, and cathedrals. The itineraries include opportunities to enjoy local cuisine, wines and cheeses. If you need to convince your spouse to cruise this region of France, see the movie “At Eternity’s Gate” about Vincent van Gogh, who lived in Arles for 14 months. In addition, you can read Ralph Grizzle’s article on River Cruise Advisor, In Search Of Van Gogh: Ashore In Arles
Here are a few things that we enjoy about Rhone river cruises.
- Provencal and Bourgogne Beauty. Rhône River cruises typically sail between Lyon and Avignon or Arles, taking in the gorgeous landscapes of Burgundy and Provence.
- Pont du Gard. The iconic bridge crossing the Gardon River is one of the best-preserved legacies of ancient Roman architecture in France.
- Bicycling. We’ve enjoyed cycling along the Rhône and Saône rivers though the wine-producing region of Beaujolais and along the Île de la Barthelasse across from the city of Avignon.
- Arles. Perhaps best-known for its incredible Roman monuments and the fact that the impressionist painter Vincent Van Gogh lived here from 1888 to 1889.
- Wonderful Wines. Rhône River cruises typically visit the wine-producing regions of Beaujolais and Chateauneuf du Pape.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites, such as the Pope’s Palace in Avignon and Pont du Gard.
A Rhone river cruise serves up the very best of France, mixing heritage and history with the country’s ever-present charm and beauty. Check out our videos Riverside Chat Episode 2: Rhone River Cruises | Video: A Cruise On France’s Rhone River With AmaWaterways
Most of the cruise lines offer an included shore excursion each day. Some cruise lines offer differing levels of activity or an extra excursion for an extra fee. One example, Emerald waterways offers three levels of excursions:
- Active, which includes guided walking/hiking and biking tours;
- Plus, which is centered around food and wine tastings, chef hosted dining experiences and the like.
- DiscoverMore, are excursions that cost extra. For example, on the Rhone, Avalon offers guided tours to Pont du Gard or to Cannes.
The prices in the chart are based on double occupancy. The upgrade costs for a cabin with a balcony or french balcony are per person. The value of the incentive is broken down per day, per person. True per diem will include the savings of incentives/discounts offered at the time of research as well as the imputed value of items that are not included.
Prices and details reflect information available at the time of research. Cruise lines offer varying incentives with differing time limits or deadlines, and it is best to check with a travel agent or the cruise company’s website. The incentives that are included in the charts were current at the time they were compiled and may no longer apply or there may be a new special offer.
Rhone River Cruise Pricing Chart 2023
|Ship||AmaCello||Avalon Poetry II||MS Van Gogh||Emerald Liberte||MS Lord Byron||Scenic Sapphire||MS Emerald||SS Catherine||Delling|
|Sailing Date||June 22, 2023||June 13, 2023||July 8, 2023||July 8, 2023||June 18, 2023||July 21,2023||June 27, 2023||June 25, 2023||June 20, 2023|
|Itinerary||Essence of Burgundy & Provence||Burgundy & Provence||Provence to Lyon on the Rhone and Saone||Sensations of Lyon & Provence||Lyon, Provençal Rhône & the Camargue River Cruise||Idyllic Rhone||Savoring France||Burgundy & Provence||Lyon & Provence|
|Embark/disembark||Chalon-Sur-Saône - Arles||Chalon-Sur-Saône - Arles||Lyon-Martigues||Lyon-Nice||Lyon-Avignon||Lyon-Marseille||Paris-Tain l'Hermitage||Avignon-Lyon||Avignon-Lyon|
|Cabin Category||Category E||Category D,E||Main Deck||Stateroom E||Lower Deck||Standard Suite E||Category 1||Classic||Standard F|
|Room With A View?||Window||Window||Window||Window||Window||Window||Window||Window||Window|
|Gratuities (on ship)||$18||$18||$18||Included||$10||Included||Included||Included||$18|
|Gratuities (on shore)||$2.50||Included||$2.50||Included||$2.00||Included||Included||Included||$2.50|
|Optional Shore Excursions||Included||Included||Included||Included||$12.50||Included||Included||Included||Included|
|Value of Incentive||N/A||N/A||N/A||$143||$143||$143||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|True Per Diem||$620||$544||$508||$345||$594||$714||$691||$683||$523|
|Per Diem/Square Foot||$3.64||$3.16||$3.16||$2.03||$3.69||$4.46||$4.61||$3.13||$3.49|
|Balcony Per Diem||$777||$812||$567||$443||N/A||$899||$908||$869||$666|
|Upgrade sq. footage||170||200||161||170||N/A||205||183||194||135|
|Upgrade sq. footage per diem||$4.57||$4.06||$3.52||$2.61||N/A||$4.39||$4.48||$4.48||$4.93|
* Nights - A 7-night river cruise spans 8 days, but one of those days is the disembarkation day. For that reason, the "per diems" are calculated based on the number of "nights" on board. The result is a fairer assessment than calculating the cost per "day."
* Per Diem - The rate divided by the number of nights on board, indicated per person but based on double occupancy. Solo travelers will, in most cases, pay single supplements.
* Gratuities (on ship) - Some companies include gratuities for crew, others leave it to their guests to take care of gratuities.
* Gratuities (on shore) - Just as with crew gratuities, some companies take care of on-shore gratuities for guides and drivers; other companies leave it to their guests.
* Beverages - Nearly all river cruise companies offer complimentary soft drinks, speciality coffees, beer and wine during lunch and dinner. In between mealtimes, though, you'll pay for most beverages when traveling with Avalon, Emerald, Riviera and Viking. Beverages are included on CroisiEurope, Crystal, Scenic, Tauck and Uniworld. AmaWaterways introduced a "Sip & Sail" Happy Hour in 2018, which includes complimentary cocktails before dinner.
* Optional Shore Excursions - All river cruise companies include complimentary excursions in most, if not all, ports of call. However, some companies offer optional shore excursions for a fee. Avalon, Crystal, Emerald, Riviera and Viking are among the companies that offer optional shore excursions.
* Current Incentive (per person) - Riviera does not offer booking incentives. The rest offer a range of incentives, ranging from early-booking savings to two-for-ones and reduced or free air. The incentives are always changing so be sure to check with your travel seller or the cruise company about current offers.
* Value of Incentive (per day/pp) - We've divided the amount of the incentive by the number of nights to arrive at a per-diem value.
* Balcony Upgrade - Nearly all of the entry-level staterooms feature fixed windows. The exception is Crystal, where even entry-level staterooms on its new vessels feature "Panoramic Balcony-Windows" that raise and lower, and basically function like a balcony (except on Mozart, which does have some fixed windows).
Autumn Rhone River Cruise 2023 Price Comparisons[table “181nbspresponsivescrollnbsp” not found /]
Also see …
younge kwon says
We have to plan Rhone river cruise at 1-15 April 2024(Duration 6-7 days),embark city; Arles or Avignon or port saint Louis and disembark; Lyon. Our group 10 numbers with companion wife.
most of all in case of both (the group and the early birds)
how we can get incentives, looking forward to your advice with recommandation of cost effective cruise company.
Interested in river cruising. Have looked at Avalon. We would like to do a river cruise in 2022 I. France- our insurance company says that insurance is fluid and although the6 are covering covid 19 they are not yet covering g variants….he said we are likely waiting our money booking at this time due to the travel ban from Canadian to France and the uncertainty of the variants. However, we will keep looking. Recommendations are welcome. We have not done a river cruise before. Have not been to Europe.
Julia A Castles says
My DNA home tests reveal 2000 yrs ago ancestors came from Denmark, Norway, Finland, Scotland, British Isles, Lyon France, Normandy, Romania, Budapest, Austria, & Faulkland Islands!! Germatic Tribes Pushed is Up & Out: Away!! I am Cold-natured.