Viking announced that new 2023 sailings of its Mississippi River cruises are now on sale. The company’s first custom vessel, Viking Mississippi, will debut in August 2022 and will sail voyages on the Lower and Upper Mississippi River, between New Orleans and St. Paul.
Currently scheduled ports of call on Viking’s new Mississippi River cruises comprise seven U.S. states: Louisiana (Baton Rouge, Darrow, New Orleans and St. Francisville); Mississippi (Natchez and Vicksburg); Tennessee (Memphis); Missouri (Hannibal, St. Louis); Iowa (Burlington, Dubuque and Davenport); Wisconsin (La Crosse); and Minnesota (Red Wing, St. Paul).
2022-2023 Viking Mississippi Voyages
America’s Great River (15 days; New Orleans to St. Paul)
Experience nearly the entire length of the Mississippi River on this journey from the Gulf of Mexico to the northernmost reaches of the U.S. Enjoy Southern charm and preserved homes in Natchez; retrace the steps of Civil Rights leaders in Memphis; ascend the Gateway Arch in St. Louis; and visit “The Norwegian Valley” in La Crosse. Multiple sailing dates now available in June, September and October 2023. Pricing starts at $10,999 per person, with discounted airfare from $199 per person.
America’s Heartland (8 days; St. Louis to St. Paul)
This journey introduces you to the experience of the locks and dams that control the flow of the heartland rivers. Hear stories of settlers migrating west; learn about Lewis & Clark, Mark Twain, John Deere and the Amish and Norwegian migrations; experience the regional music like polka and Norwegian folk; and taste regional cuisine showcasing local beer, produce and Wisconsin cheese. Multiple sailing dates in August and September 2022; additional sailing dates now available in July, August and September 2023. Pricing starts at $4,599 per person, with discounted airfare from $199 per person.
Heart of the Delta (8 days; New Orleans to Memphis)
This journey on the Lower Mississippi is infused with American history, culture and heritage. Tour the area where the migrating French and Acadians settled; immerse yourself in the culture and lessons from the American Civil Rights Movement; discover the music of the South—jazz, blues and gospel; and experience the life and food culture of the south, from Cajun and Creole to “dry” Memphis BBQ. Multiple sailing dates in October and November 2022; additional sailing dates now available in May and June 2023. Inaugural pricing starts at $4,199 per person, with discounted airfare from $199 per person.
Southern Celebration (8 days; New Orleans–Vicksburg–New Orleans)
On this exploration of the Lower Mississippi, visit homes in Louisiana and Mississippi; learn about Civil War history, touring sites like Vicksburg National Military Park; and discover the excitement and flavors of New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Multiple sailing dates in November and December 2022; additional sailing dates now available in January 2023. Inaugural pricing starts at $3,699 per person, with discounted airfare from $199 per person.
Hosting 386 guests in 193 all outside staterooms, the new state-of-the-art Viking Mississippi is inspired by Viking’s river and ocean ships and will feature clean Scandinavian design, as well as public spaces that are familiar to guests but that have been reimagined for Mississippi River voyages.
Highlights of the new ship include:
- All Outside Staterooms: Guests can choose from seven stateroom categories that range from 268 square feet to 1,024 square feet: Veranda, French Balcony, Deluxe Veranda, Penthouse Veranda, Penthouse Jr. Suite, Terrace Suite and Explorer Suite. All staterooms feature a private veranda or French balcony, king-size bed, flat-screen interactive TV, mini-bar, glass-enclosed shower, heated bathroom floor and 24-hour room service.
- Viking Suites: Guests in Penthouse Jr. Suites (400 square feet) and Terrace Suites (425 square feet) receive early stateroom access; expanded double-sink bathroom; mini-bar with alcoholic beverages, soft drinks, water and snacks replenished daily; welcome champagne; and laundry, pressing and shoe shine services. Guests in Explorer Suites (657 square feet to 1,024 square feet) also receive a wraparound veranda and complimentary Silver Spirits Beverage Package.
- Explorers’ Lounge & The Bow: Familiar to Viking’s ocean guests, Viking Mississippi will also feature an Explorers’ Lounge near the bow of the ship. The two-story Explorers’ Lounge has floor-to-ceiling windows that open to The Bow, an outdoor seating area at the front of the ship where guests can relax and enjoy riverside views.
- River Café: From American classics to Mamsen’s Norwegian specialties, this indoor/outdoor dining venue on the top deck will offer alternative restaurant dining in a casual al fresco setting.
- Aquavit Terrace: Viking Mississippi will feature an Aquavit Terrace on the top deck, providing a casual dining space ideal for an American barbecue experience.
- Sun Terrace with Infinity Plunge Pool: Similar to Viking’s ocean ships, Viking Mississippi will have a glass-backed pool experience at the aft, allowing guests to take a dip while fully surrounded by their destination.
- The Living Room: Scandinavian design paired with American influences, the Living Room on Deck 1 is designed for socializing, relaxing and entertainment. Nearby, the quiet corner of The Library, is a perfect place to discover a new book.
- The Restaurant: This main dining venue on Deck 1 will serve daily-changing menus featuring regional cuisine and always available classics prepared with fresh, local ingredients.
- Full 360-Degree Promenade Deck: Guests can stroll the entire ship outside on Deck 1, stretching their legs while viewing scenic landscapes and regional wildlife.
- Enrichment On Board and On Shore: A focus on cultural enrichment on board Viking Mississippi means that guests will enjoy Destination Performances that represent the music of the region—as well as Guest Lecturers that shed light on the region’s art, architecture, history, culture, natural world and more.
- Sustainable Features: Solar panels, LED lighting, floor-to-ceiling windows that maximize natural light and an energy-efficient hybrid propulsion system will make Viking Mississippi environmentally friendly.
- Viking Inclusive Value: Cruise fares include one complimentary shore excursion in each port of call, all onboard meals, and all port charges and government taxes. Guests also enjoy many complimentary amenities as part of their fare, including beer and wine with lunch and dinner service, lectures, alternative dining at no extra charge, self-service launderettes, 24-hour room service and free Wi-Fi.
Leave a Reply