Just a month after Adventures by Disney announced its new partnership with river cruise line AmaWaterways to create family-friendly river cruise itineraries, Adventures by Disney is adding additional departures for the summer and winter of 2016 to keep up with demand.
Summer 2016 departure dates along the Danube now include July 7, 14, 21, 28, and August 4, 2016. Winter 2016 departure dates – designed to take advantage of winter school breaks and Europe’s magnificent Christmas Markets will now include December 15 and December 22, 2016.
The December 15 sailing will include a special private cocktail reception (for the adults, obviously) at the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, along with a visit to Schloss Hof. The December 22 sailing features a special holiday performance by the Vienna Boys Choir in the Hofburg Palace chapel, and a special Holiday menu onboard.
All sailings will take place aboard the brand-new AmaViola, which is scheduled to make her debut in the spring of 2016. Carrying 158 guests, most staterooms will feature AmaWaterways’ unique Twin Balcony concept, which includes both full and French balconies within a single room.
AmaViola will also feature gourmet dining with free-flowing fine wines (for the adults) at multiple onboard dining venues; a heated sun deck swimming pool with a ‘swim-up’ bar; fitness center and spa; complimentary ship-wide Wi-Fi and in-room Internet and entertainment on demand; and a fleet of bicycles carried onboard for passengers to enjoy on their own or on guided bike tours.
Each Adventures by Disney river cruise operated in conjunction with AmaWaterways will include:
- Tour of Mirabell Gardens and adventures through a salt mine,
- Nighttime Illuminations Cruise in Budapest.
- Horse show at Lazar Equestrian Park.
- Medieval activities at Devin Castle in Bratislava, Slovakia.
- Private marionette performance and strudel making demo at Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna.
- Falconry show at Hohenwerfen castle.
- Walk along the tree tops at a unique outdoor adventure center in Kopfing, Germany.
- Oktoberfest event at a local brewery in Germany.
- Themed onboard meals and culinary activities, such as”interactive” goulash and strudel making demos.
- Cycling options in every port of call with AmaWaterways’ complimentary bicycles.
These additional sailings are particularly important for what they reveal: that river cruising is quickly becoming a desirable vacation for multi-generational families looking to explore inland Europe with the comfort and convenience that a cruise provides. Will it force other lines to re-evaluate their family-friendly sailings – or lack of them?
Time will tell.
More information on AmaWaterways can be found by viewing our company profile here on River Cruise Advisor.