A river cruise usually includes some degree of free WiFi service whether or not it’s an all-inclusive package. Each river cruise company, though, has its own description of what free WiFi entails. And even though, the service might be included, it does not mean it will always be accessible.
Companies – Free WiFi Included
Almost all river cruise companies include complimentary or free WiFi service. Although, there are a couple that do not offer free WiFi on all ships in their fleet.
Public computer stations are often available in a designated area of the ship for guests who do not have their own mobile internet device. Not all companies specifically address it.
Another thing to keep in mind is that an internet connection might not always be available depending on weather and location of the ship. Also, the internet connection is likely to be much slower than most people are used to at home.
- AmaWaterways describes free WiFi for Europe and Asia, since it differs between the two regions. In Europe high-speed internet service is available throughout the ship.
- In Vietnam and Cambodia, free WiFi is available on the ship only in the lounge. There are computer stations set up for passengers.
- American Cruise Lines’ ships offer free WiFi throughout the ship. And for passengers who do not have a computer or other mobile internet device, complimentary computer access is available in the lounge on all of its vessels.
- Free WiFi is featured on both the American Empress and American Queen and is generally accessible throughout the ship.
- AROSA features free WiFi service throughout the ship, including each stateroom. A few complimentary computer station are available on all ships.
- Avalon Waterways provides complimentary WiFi Access. Public computer stations are also featured.
Free wi-fi is available on all CroisiEurope ships throughout the fleet. While Wi-Fi is available in the reception area and lounge bar on most ships, on the newest ships such as the Ms Gerard Schmitter, the MS Cyrano de Bergerac, the MS Lafayette and the fleet of four hotel barges, Wi-Fi is available throughout. CroisiEurope is also equipping every ship in the fleet (apart from those ships on the Mekong) with a Samsung Galaxy Tablet for guests’ use.
Complimentary WiFi is available on all Emerald Waterways’ ships.
Scenic Cruises features complimentary WiFi.
Complimentary WiFi access is available throughout all ships in Tauck’s fleet.
All Viking ships in Europe, Russia and Ukraine feature free WiFi. Guests can use their own laptops or one of the public computes available onboard each ship. Viking does offer access to desktop computers in Russia and laptops in Europe.
There is no onboard wireless network internet in China or Southeast Asia, which means there is no internet access on Viking ships in these regions. In China guests may use computers free of charge at an Internet café. And internet access may be available in the hotels during the land tour portion of the trip.
In Egypt there is a charge for using the internet. There are two computers available on each ship. Internet service is available throughout the ship in Egypt. Guests may also use their own laptops.
Companies – Free WiFi Not Always Included
Grand Circle does not specifically state that all of its vessels feature free or complimentary WiFi. The wording on Grand Circle’s website states the following:
“Whether or not you’ll have internet access depends largely on your hotels or ships. In general, however, your Program Director will be able to tell you where to find an internet café during your trip.”
Uniworld features free WiFi only on select ships.
Service may be briefly interrupted in remote areas, while sailing, or when moving through locks, and the speed will likely be slower than what you are used to back home.
Free WiFi is not available in China or Southeast Asia as mentioned above.
Free WiFi Average Savings
This is difficult to estimate since most companies include free WiFi as part of the river cruise whether or not it’s an all-inclusive package. The companies that do not feature complimentary internet service on all ships do not usually offer it as a paid option, so there is not a savings. It’s just not available.
See other all-inclusive river cruise articles in this series:
- Airport Transfer Fees
- Fitness Center/Pool/Bikes
- Laundry Services or Facilties
- Port Charges
- Prepaid Gratuities
- Private Butler Service
- Shore Excursions