Wine and river cruising go hand in hand. AmaWaterways has always known this; they were one of the earliest pioneers of the concept of wine-themed river cruises that combine epicurean excursions along with wine tastings and unique wine pairings and wine-related onboard lectures, coupled with a river cruise through Europe.
For the 2015-2016 cruise season, AmaWaterways has unveiled a new brochure highlighting their more than 50 Wine-themed European sailings for the coming year. No corner of Europe goes untouched, with wine-themed voyages that explore noteworthy wine-producing regions like France, Spain, Austria and Germany, and even Portugal’s Douro River Valley, famed for its role in the production of port wine.
“AmaWaterways’ wine cruises offer exceptional experiences for avid wine enthusiasts, as well as those who enjoy the occasional glass and would love to learn more,” said Kristin Karst, executive vice president and co-owner of AmaWaterways. “Travelers will not only delight in seeing the picturesque villages and grand capitals of Europe during these special sailings, but they will also have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the rich heritage of the world’s most famed wine regions, with expert lectures and exquisite tastings.”
AmaWaterways’ 2015 Europe wine cruise itineraries include:
- Paris & Normandy – 7-night Seine River voyage through the heart of Normandy with optional 2-night land extension in Paris
- Provence & Spain – 7-night cruise through Provence with optional 3-night land extensions in Barcelona and/or Paris
- Enticing Douro – 7-night cruise through the dramatic Douro River Valley with optional 3-night land extension in Lisbon
- The Romantic Danube – 7-night cruise from Vilshofen to Budapest with optional 3-night land extension in Prague
- Melodies of the Danube – 7-night cruise from Budapest to Vilshofen with optional 3-night land extension in Munich or Prague
- The Enchanting Rhine – 7-night cruise from Amsterdam to Basel (or reverse) with optional 4-night land extension in Zurich and Lucerne.
Wine lovers will be overjoyed to learn that AmaWaterways will be launching their first-ever sailings in Bordeaux, France in 2016. Sailing along the Garonne and Dordogne rivers, AmaWaterways’ new Taste of Bordeaux itinerary will take guests on an unforgettable journey through the heart of Bordeaux’s famed wine and cognac regions, where vineyards and chateaus seemingly stretch for miles.
In addition to AmaWaterways’ traditional shore excursions, these new wine cruises will feature distinctive tours revealing the culture and winemaking traditions of each region. Tours can include exclusive visits to local vineyards, historic wine cellars and winemaking seminars. Each cruise is hosted by a noted guest, who imparts their knowledge, expertise and passion for wines on guests, creating an intimate and informative experience for all.
The new brochure can be ordered or downloaded from the AmaWaterways website.
More information on AmaWaterways can be found by viewing our complete company profile here on River Cruise Advisor.