Although it’s only coming up on June, Scenic Tours has released its new 2014 European River Cruises brochure. In addition to the brand-new Scenic Gem which is set to join the fleet early next year, the line is also rolling out a new itinerary that takes guests along the Seine into the heart of France.
Dubbed the Gems of the Seine, this new 11-day voyage allows guests to see some of the most stunning cities, towns and villages in France. Departing roundtrip from Paris, guests will first be treated to a Welcome Reception onboard in the City of Love before an overnight in this amazing city.
In Paris, Scenic will give guests the choice of taking a tour of the Palace of Versailles, or exploring the famous Louvre. Through the evening, guests will cruise to the picturesque locale that is Les Andelys.
Les Andelys is full of exploration opportunities, but one that shouldn’t be missed is the chance to explore the ruins of Chateau Gaillard, Richard the Lionheart’s French stronghold. Guests can also choose to go for an invigorating cycle along the Seine, or visit the beautiful village of Lyons la Forêt for a cider tasting.
This Gems of the Seine itinerary will also spend two full days in Rouen, two days in Honfleur, and calls in Caudebec-en-Caux, Vernon, and Conflans before returning to Paris.
The highlight of this particular itinerary is how many complimentary excursion choices the line is offering guests in each port. Typically, guests will be able to choose from up to three gratis excursions as part of Scenic’s FreeChoice excursion programs. This allows guests to better tailor their river cruise experiences to suit their individual tastes and interests.
The full list of excursion options provided under Scenic’s FreeChoice program on this itinerary:
- Uncover the intrigue of the real Paris on your walking tour with a local Parisian; enjoy a tour of the magnificent Palace of Versailles; or explore the Louvre with a specially trained art expert and see famous pieces such as the Mona Lisa
- Hike to King Richard the Lionheart’s castle, Château Gaillard, including entry; or travel to the spectacular village of Lyons la Forêt including cider tasting; or enjoy your self-guided cycle along the Seine Riverbank
- Step inside an acclaimed French Baking & Patisserie Institute for a demonstration and tasting; or discover the historical delights of Rouen including the famous Joan of Arc sites; or hike St Catherine Hill for the views that inspired Monet
- Visit the key sights and memorials on a day excursion to the Somme battlefields; or visit the Museum of Fine Arts; or take a leisurely cycle at your own pace on your self-guided discovery of Rouen
- Be enchanted by Honfleur on your guided walking tour; or visit Normandy’s delightful Domaine Saint-Hippolyte including a cheese and cider tasting; or enjoy a leisurely self-guided cycle from Honfleur to the English Channel
- Select a full day excursion to the D-Day landing beaches of Normandy; or spend time in the playground of the rich and famous on your tour of Deauville including a tasting of the regions renowned calvados.
- Venture to the spectacular village of Fécamp, where you’ll enjoy a guided tour including liqueur tasting at the majestic Benedictine Abbey; or travel to the hilltop village of Bolbec and visit the remarkable Textile Museum
- Visit Giverny, including entry to Monet’s former residence and gardens; or enjoy your self-guided cycle from Vernon to Giverny; or tour the picturesque streets of Vernon
- Step inside Chantilly Castle for a guided tour of this remarkable château, or travel to Auvers-sur-Oise for your guided tour including entry to Van Gogh’s room
The Gems of the Seine itinerary begins on July 18, 2014 and continues on until the final departure of the year on October 16, 2014.
More information on Scenic Tours, its Scenic ‘Space Ship’ river cruise vessels and itineraries can be found by viewing our complete company profile here on River Cruise Advisor.