When you’re planning a river cruise in Europe, you have a fair amount of choices. To better understand what your choices are, read river cruise reviews from companies that we regularly write about.
If you are new to river cruising and/or want to learn more about the various river cruise companies and their vessels, you are at the right place. You will find a broad selection of river cruise reviews that will provide you the knowledge to make your best river cruise decision.
- AmaWaterways” Austrian founder Rudi Schreiner was involved with several of the other major river cruise companies before launching his own line in 2002 along with cruise industry executive Kristin Karst and Brendan Worldwide Vacations owner Jimmy Murphy. Formerly known as Amadeus Waterways, AmaWaterways has grown exponentially in the intervening years to become one of the major players in the European river cruise market. Read more about AmaWaterways.
- A-ROSA was founded in 2000, designed from the ground-up to offer cruisers a unique experience along Europe’s most famous waterways. After 13 years of successful operations in Europe, catering to a largely European clientele, A-ROSA began actively marketing themselves to North American guests in 2013, aided by California-based David Morris International. Read more about A-ROSA.
American Queen Steamboat Company River Cruise Reviews
Review from our sister site, The Avid Cruiser.
Even if you’re an avid cruiser like me, you’ll find there’s little to compare to the American Queen. It can’t be compared to a river cruise vessel in Europe. The largest paddlewheeler ever built, the six-deck American Queen is nearly 2.5 times wider than those river cruisers. Spanning 90 feet across, she offers multiple restaurants, including a gorgeous two-story main restaurant, lots of public rooms, a variety of staterooms and suites, a small pool, gym and, of course, a giant paddlewheel to propel the riverboat.
Click play to check out the Avid Cruiser’s video review featuring The American Queen.
Founded by Gérard Schmitter in 1976, CroisiEurope River Cruises is still a family run business, responsible for the construction, ownership and day-to-day operations of 30 river cruise vessels that are capable of carrying between 100 and 200 passengers. In 2014, the company will take delivery of an additional three vessels, bringing its fleet to a total of 33 river cruise ships. CroisiEurope is also one of the few lines to offer sailings on nearly every river in Europe. Read more about CroisiEurope River Cruises
- Though Tauck was founded in 1925, its river-cruise division is one of the new kids on the block. With their first vessel entering service in 2006, Tauck now operates four ships in Europe: the 118-passenger Swiss Emerald,Swiss Sapphire and Swiss Jewel, sister ships launched in 2006, 2008 and 2009 respectively. Tauck took delivery of the elegant MS Treasures, in 2011. Read more about Tauck.
- Uniworld Boutique River Cruises was founded in 1976 by Yugoslavian entrepreneur Serba Illich. Based in California, the company began operating river cruises along the waterways of Europe in 1993. With a fleet of twelve distinct and diverse ships, Uniworld sails through some of Europe’s most spectacular cities and towns, in addition to offering river cruises that explore the wonders of Russia, the magic of Egypt, and the ancient civilisations of China, Vietnam and Cambodia. Read more about Uniworld Boutique River Cruises.
- Established in 1997, Viking River Cruises merged with KD River Cruises in 2000. The California-based company now operates a remarkable fleet of river cruise vessels throughout Europe, Russia & the Ukraine, China and Southeast Asia, and Egypt. Read more about Viking River Cruises.
All River Cruise Companies
- Abercrombie & Kent
- American Cruise Lines
- American Queen Steamboat Company
- APT River Cruises
- Avalon Waterways
- French Country Waterways
- Go Barging/European Waterways
- Grand Circle Travel
- Le Boat
- Pandaw Cruises
- Scenic Tours
- SeaCloud Cruises
- Uniworld Boutique River Cruises
- Vantage Deluxe World Travel
- Viking River Cruises