Author of the No. 1 New York Times-bestselling Outlander series, and godmother to the Avalon Tapestry II, Diana Gabaldon is hosting an author cruise with Avalon Waterways in 2018.
“For years, Diana Gabaldon has added to the storytelling tapestry of our lives, inviting readers to see the world differently while also inspiring them to travel,” said Terri Burke, managing director of Avalon Waterways. “In her Outlander books – now an award-winning, original television series on STARZ – she has brought to life the backdrops of Scotland as well as dozens of other destinations across the globe. On the June 5, 2018 departure of theLegendary Danube cruise from Prague to Budapest, this inspiring storyteller will share an inspired cruise with an intimate group of her fans.”
A Legendary Itinerary
This 11-day vacation delivers travelers to the heart of Europe to explore all the towns and cities along the Danube River have to offer. While spending three nights in Prague, Avalon guests will discover the Hradcany Castle grounds, wander through Prague’s Jewish Quarter, shop for hand-cut crystal, savor Czech dumplings, stand in Wenceslaus square where protestors demonstrated against Communism, or visit one of the many churches. Then, from Nuremberg, they will set sail for medieval Regensburg, Passau, Vienna, and Budapest, with guided sightseeing in each city. They will also sail through the Main Danube Canal and witness the scenic beauty as you cruise past quaint towns. Attend a beer tasting, tour Melk’s splendid Benedictine Abbey and experience the music, art, culture, and historical sites in Vienna.
“This is a memorable vacation,” said Burke. “And with Diana Gabaldon as their host, sharing stories and personal insights about OUTLANDER, fans are in for an experience of a lifetime.”
Also new for 2018 is a Tulip Time Cruise for Garden Enthusiasts. On this special April 13, 2018 departure, travelers will discover the most beautiful gardens and parks throughout Europe. For instance, the gardens of Keukenof near Lisse offer 70 acres of parkland with lakes, sculpture gardens and greenhouse. In Amsterdam, a Local Guide will show travelers the secret hidden gardens found in the heart of the city. Those inspired by all-things garden and nature will also enjoy getting an inside look at some of the private gardens and courtyards of 17th-century homes.
Next year, Avalon is also expanding its list of extremely popular themed itineraries – cruises that sell-out year-over-year – including:
- Wine. Palates will applaud travelers choosing these itineraries where a Master of Wine will teach them the ropes at onboard tastings that may include wine and cheese, wine and chocolate and a special food-and-wine paired dinner. Departures include: Burgundy & Provence for Wine Lovers (July 29, October 19 and October 25); Grand France for Wine Lovers (July 27,October 19 and October 20); Rhine & Rhone Revealed for Wine Lovers (July 27, October 19 and October 20); The Blue Danube Discovery for Wine Lovers (October 31) and From the Danube Delta to Prague for Wine Lovers (October 22 and October 24).
- Culinary. On these special cruises, travelers will enter a food-lover’s paradise in the land of haute cuisine – France! Departures include: A Culinary Experience from Paris to Normandy(August 11); A Culinary Experience on the Grand France (August 11) and A Culinary Experience on the Danube Symphony (July 17).
- Beer. Indulge in Hefeweizen and Witbier (wheat beer) … Dunkeles and Dubbel (dark beer) … Lambic (wild-yeast beer) … Krystal (filtered beer) and so many others when visiting historic breweries and regional pubs. Departures include: Tulip Time Cruise for Beer Enthusiasts (April 6); Danube Dreams for Beer Enthusiasts (April 2, April 4 and November 2).
- Jazz. Travelers can get their blood pumping and toes tapping on these memorable jazz-focused departures featuring the Vienne Jazz Festival: Sounds of Jazz from Burgundy & Provence (June 29); Grand France – Sounds of Jazz (June 29) and Sounds of Jazz on the Rhine & Rhone Revealed (June 29).
- Music & Opera. The music will move travelers on this incredible music and opera cruise: Magnificent Europe for Music & Opera Admirers (October 26).
- Art. These cruises really make an impression: Art & Impressionism Discovery from Paris to Normandy (July 28); Art & Impressionism Discovery on the Grand France (July 28).
- History. Perfect for history buffs, two history cruises feature destinations important to WWII and the museums and exhibits that honor it, the third offers insight about the Habsburg royal dynasty and a fourth cruise shares information about European history and politics: Paris to Normandy for WWII Historians (July 7); Grand France for WWII Historians (June 29);Danube Dreams for Royalty and Habsburg Enthusiasts (April 13) and Magnificent Europe for European History and Politics Enthusiasts (July 31).
- Jewish Heritage. Step back in Jewish History on this departure featuring a renowned Jewish Heritage expert who will cruise with you: The Blue Danube Discovery & Jewish Heritage (August 12).